Wednesday, 4 April 2012

FORGET EASTER BUNNY, THE GYM BUNNY IS IN THE HOUSE!!!

So although even just a month ago I was definitively stating I was not a gym person, last weekend I did the unthinkable and, for only the second time in my life, joined a gym.

Please - try not to faint. I know it's difficult.

No matter how much I HATED the gym the first time around, I came to the realisation that I'd been in the best shape I'd been in for YEARS those twelve months or so when I actually (somewhat sporadically) attended. So, since my whole New Years Goal to become healthy and happy has somehow slipped by the wayside and been replaced by my usual drinking sessions and bed-lazing, I decided that the time had come to do something. So . . . the gym it had to be.

And, I'll be honest  . . . I'd love to tell you I'm a convert, but I'm not. I'm not sure I ever will be. I find gyms frustrating from the get-go. In this place, before you even BEGIN, you have to walk up two flights of stairs to get to it. If you are walking INTO the gym huffing and puffing, it's not a good start surely?

Then you have to enter a passcode into a door, which opens up and then traps you in what appears to be a big bubble, until the door shuts behind you and the door in front can finally open. I'm not actually claustrophobic, but the idea that the electricity could potentially shut down and trap me in the bubble that I barely fit in thanks to my giant gym bag is somewhat terrifying.

And then there's the whole having to get changed thing. That annoys me. I don't really mind doing it once a week at pole class but having to do it at a gym seems like so much more hassle. I'd forgotten how much. First of all, let's bear in mind that I'm the sort of girl who is reluctant to change out of her PYJAMAS if she doesn't have to leave her house (yes, I have been known to do an exercise dvd while still wearing my bedware.). The effort of having to get changed to work out seems like waaaayyyy too much effort.  Suddenly the aforementioned giant gym bag has swallowed all my belongings and concealed them and I have to pull EVERYTHING out to find what I'm looking for. Then I actually have to CHANGE. Oh dear god.

And we haven't even GOT to the actual tiresomeness of working out. Or all the nuisances surrounding oneself out in the actual gym part of the gym.

(Yes, a How To Annoy Me In The Gym post is an inevitability, I'm afraid. Yay.)


Are you impressed that I even joined though? Want to give me some working out tips? Or share what your favourite machine is? (Mine is the cross-trainer/elyptical thingummyjig. I'm sooo down with the gym lingo, eh?) Do you like the gym? Were you prepared for so many questions?

Oh fuck it. Just pick one of 'em and answer me, goddammit! ;-)

4 comments:

  1. I'm very proud of you! I HATE to exercise and have a bad hip so I have to be careful as it's easily aggravated.

    I don't think just joining a gym would do me any good. I'd have to find a drill sergeant of a personal instructor to be responsible to. I know I wouldn't do it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg you're so brave! cos of my blood pressure I can't join a gym, so kudos to you! :) I'm doing a dancercise after easter though!

    <a href="http://lematerialgirl.blogspot.co.uk</a>Le Material Girl</a>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for joining P. The benefits of joining the gym are usually all the fit guys kicking about. Make sure you speak with the instructors about which 'target areas' you need to work on. That way, they will direct you to the right machines, no time wasted on other machines that won't benefit you. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the best way to get exercise is to find something that doesn't completely suck. i'm not a huge gym person, i prefer classes and sports.

    good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)