Sunday, 18 March 2012

THE *NAIL* ON SUNDAY . . . ISSUE 2!



Well, we're onto Issue 2 of my semi-regular feature The Nail on Sunday, and today I present you with RAINBOW NAILS!

If you're my friend on Facebook, or friend in real life, you may have already spotted my attempt at these, but I am pretty enamoured of them so thought I would share. They're actually simpler than they look, they feature lots of pretty pastel colours for the spring, and they're very girly and cute.

What more can you ask for??? ;-)





You can obviously vary the colours if you want but I had experimented (ooh er!) beforehand and discovered that you needed to put some colours together that contrast slightly. Hence the pretty bright pink colour breaking up the baby blue and peppermint. On my previous attempt, I put the blue and peppermint together, you could barely see the difference, I had to resort to a black nail art pen to try and define the individual stripes, it all got a bit out of hand and then the below happened.



(Actually still kind of cool, but sooo not what I was going for...)

So what do you need for this look? My cast of nail polish characters is mainly comprised of Barry M products, with a cameo from an Orly polish that I bought from ebay last week, and a finish of clear nail polish which came in an Elegant Touch french manicure set. So the main contenders are:



Barry M - blueberry ice cream (for the record, this is possibly my favourite nail polish colour ever)
Barry M - berry ice cream  (I find this lilac colour a bit wishywashy on its own, which is one of the reason I wanted to feature it in the Rainbow Nail)
Barry M - mint green (another favourite)
Orly - Basket Case (that would be the pink one - Barry M's colour names are slightly more obvious, eh?)
And then pretty much any clear nail polish you might have!



I decided to just make one nail on each finger a rainbow nail, but it's up to you what you decide. I went for my middle finger on each hand and made the other nails either blueberry or mint green. The thumb might be quite nice as a feature nail, or I'm considering trying to do rainbow nails on ALL fingers at some point. But to begin with, you may want to start with one.




Start off with a layer of the berry (lilac) colour. Normally if I'm using this on its own I would probably put on about three layers but only a small amount of lilac will ultimately show so one layer should suffice.


Now you could just do individual stripes for this, but to be honest, my hand isn't that steady so I just went for the layering option. Put on the mint green nail polish once the lilac has dried. The trick is to put it on like you're doing a French Manicure - but rather than the tip you are painting most of the nail, but leaving some of the lilac to show at the bottom. (I'm sorry I don't have a picture of this part!) Once this has dried, you then repeat this with the pink, ensuring that you leave some of the mint green showing at the bottom. (I DO have a picture of this part! Go me!)


Once you have done this, just place the blueberry colour at the top on the tip of the nail, EXACTLY like a French Manicure and, once dry, stick a layer of clear polish over the top. You would think it would end up bumpy with so many layers of nail polish but, surprisingly, it doesn't!


I absolutely LOVE this look and you can guarantee it's one I'm going to be sporting A LOT this spring (and possibly summer) - and experimenting with other colours too.


By the way, if this is a bit TOO girly for you (I honestly wouldn't blame you if it is - I know not all girls like pastels), there is a wondeful space nail tutorial over on the lovely Emily Jane's blog which you should DEFINITELY also check out. The minute I saw the look on Facebook I wanted to know how to recreate it, and apparently I wasn't the only one!


But yeah, I hope you like MY nails too. And if anyone has any ideas for nail looks I can try, please let me know!


Happy Sunday everyone!

4 comments:

  1. cute!! :) i would like to try that :) hmm I think I need lot of practice to make it perfect just like yours lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cue! And I've got exactly the same polishes as you do, so I'm SO going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute-definitely makes me think of spring and Easter eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty. I'm the laziest ever when it comes to nail art but maybe you'll inspire me!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)