Thursday, 15 March 2012

DAY-GLO DAYWARE!!!


As you know, many things annoy me. Too many to mention. (Although I do TRY to mention as many of these as I can, on a regular basis, as you ALSO probably know.)

But one thing that especially bugs me are nights out with a theme.

Some themes are fine. For example, my good friend V had a "posh frocks and fascinators" hen night. I'm not a massive fascinator fan (now, THAT'S not a phrase I really expected to type) but I managed to find one for six quid, and who DOESN'T want to wear a posh dress? (Well, a dude, I suppose. But still.)

It's the themes that have you shelling out unnecessary money on stuff you'll never wear again.

Take, for example, last May, when I went on a hen weekend to the North of England. It was decided early on that the theme on the main night out would be Rave. We're talking day-glo accessories and clothes here. I was very dubious, mainly because I didn't already own anything like this. (Also, there is probably a lot of potential there to look like an idiot, right?) And i was skint and really didn't want to waste money.



Anyway, I was actually pretty economical (which was a good thing as the weekend cost a fortune - it was in a Center Parcs so if you've ever been to one of those, you'll probably know exactly what I mean). I managed to buy a fluorescent orange vest from Primark and some accessories from Claire's. Combined with my normal garb of a denim mini and leggings, as well as some glow-stick accessories provided by my sister, I was set and didn't feel too stupid.

And since my outfit hadn't actually cost that much, i was prepared to write it off.

However, nearly a year later, I've come to realise that my fabulous fluorescent beaded necklace and fluorescent orange vest actually contrast brilliantly with my black Mango shirt dress and add a splash of colour to an otherwise cute but slightly dull outfit. Recycling success!


(Rainbow nail tutorial "Nail on Sunday" post coming very soon, btw)

I've absolutely loved these beads since I wore them on that hen weekend, and I'm so glad I've found a good reason to wear them - I love that I have managed to get more out of the beads and the vest than that one night!


Have you ever had to buy anything for a theme night or party that you've managed to re-use in everyday life?

6 comments:

  1. There will be no theme at my hen, promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not many people my age do 'themes' because they're *far* too grown up. I wish they did though, I love a good theme party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I notice you're in Glasgow- I lived there for a year and loved it. such a great city with fun nightlife and excellent shopping!!! Oh and the friendly locals of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I HATE stupidly expensive hen nights and ones with a bad theme are even worse! My friend had a vintage theme though which was fab, and another had one that was 'glitz and glam' so very achievable! Love your rave outfit, brings me back ;)

    Emma xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love themes. Especially glow themes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I hate dressing up! Especially for simple nights out or someone's birthday. Just because of the hassle & cost involved!

    Your outfit looked really cute though, and I'm glad you've got more wear out of the stuff you bought! Love it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)