Monday, 19 March 2012

AWKWARD CONVERSATIONS . . .

I'm really not a massive fan of small talk.

It's one of the reasons why I never really got into the idea of going to get my hair done. Or why I might sometimes avoid leaving my room if I think someone else is in my flat. Or why I might see someone I know walking in front of me and deliberately slow down.

It's not that I don't like the person. I just can't be arsed, on that particular day, to do the small talk dance.

You know what I mean, right? Where you are struggling for things to say, and trying to work out how to extricate yourself from the conversation without being rude . . . and then suddenly realising that you have answered all the questions the other person has asked you about your day, or your life, or your pet dog AND HAVEN'T ASKED THEM A SINGLE QUESTION BACK! I am so guilty of that one in particular.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm in the mood I can be great at small talk. But if I can't be bothered, I barely make the effort. If I am talking to someone I don't think likes me much, I REALLY can't be bothered trying. And, if it's a particularly bad day, that's when the inappropriate stuff comes out. Or when I'm making small talk while drunk. (See here: the "you like to shag dead people" incident.)

Appalling.

One day maybe I'll learn the art of small talk and become a sparkling conversationalist (that is a word, right?). For now though? I think I'll continue to avoid people when I'm not in the mood to even try . . .


How's your small talk?



(PS I accidentally deleted a comment instead of publishing it and I'm not sure who it belonged to - if it was you I'm sorry, I was half asleep and my finger slipped - I'm sure there's an obvious "that's what she said" joke there, but I refuse to make it.)

5 comments:

  1. Apparently, any sentence staring with the word "So ..." constitutes small talk.

    "So, how's business?"

    "So, lousy weather we're having"

    I start a lot of sentences with "SO".

    So, I guess that makes me good at small talk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I hate small talk. Despise it. Idle chitchat - BLURGH! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suck at small talk some times. I do the slow walk to purposefully avoid it too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the most part I don't mind it. It seems like whenever I look my worst and I've left the house to run an errand or two, that's when I see EVERYONE I KNOW. I'm not into the small talk thing then but it seems like everyone else is.

    Sometimes I'll pretend I don't see someone at the store because I can't be bothered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My small talk is getting better, but I used to be guilty of not asking questions back!

    When it comes to hairdressers, I prefer to read - it's enough that I'm paying big money, don't torture me with small talk as well :D

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)