Thursday, 2 February 2012

FALSE EFFECTS . . .

So you may be aware that a L'Oreal advert featuring the uber-beautiful Rachel Weisz was banned recently due to complaints about the heavy airbrushing that had apparently went on.

Wow. People have been up in arms about airbrushing, or other advertising tricks of a similar ilk, for years. I don't really see the point in stressing about it, personally. Is it REALLY such a big deal?

Look at it this way - we all know it happens. Generally, we can even TELL when someone has been airbrushed. The fact that they don't look REAL is probably the prime reason for this. No one really has skin that luminous, or hair that shiny, or a figure THAT unrealistic. A lot of the time I would PREFER to believe the celebrity in question had been airbrushed. THAT makes me feel better.

There's also talk that airbrushing celebrity bodies leads to eating disorders in young girls. Once again, I go back to my previous point - isn't it better that they aren't REALLY that skinny and we know WHY, rather than believing they achieved such uber-slenderness through their own hard work and starvation?

L'Oreal, like many other brands, have ALWAYS came under fire for what is effectively false advertising. We've always known that their mascara wasn't making the model's eyelashes incredible without use of falsies, just as its been fairly obvious on many occasions that the model's hair in a shampoo ad isn't just their own natural hair. I personally don't have any objection to this because, to me, its obvious. Maybe I just don't really believe the hype in adverts anymore (well, unless they're infomercials because I'm a sucker for the products they try to sell me in those) and I suppose I get my information about new beauty products from online reviews and blogs and REAL PEOPLE who have tried the product. I don't need Cheryl Cole or Rachel Weisz to tell me I'm worth it, especially when they aren't QUITE as naturally beautiful as the airbrushing or eyelash inserts are making us believe.

But, yes, as far as I'm concerned, I don't mind airbrushing because I can look at the picture of Rachel and think "yeah, she's been airbrushed, even SHE isn't perfect." I'd be more depressed to see an UNtouched picture of her and see how naturally beautiful she is in reality. If anything, I feel a TEENY bit sorry for her that L'oreal chose to do that to her - I would feel like I wasn't quite good enough!

So I say don't ban the airbrushing. But be HONEST about it.

We'll all feel better about ourselves as a result . . .

How do YOU feel about airbrushing?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! :) At times airbrushing doesnt bother me that much because as you said, I can tell myself... well they look like that because they have been made to look like that!! :) lol

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the problem isn't really with the airbrushing itself, but in the ideals the whole fashion/beauty industry send out all the time, with the help of airbrushing. There's skinny, hairless, smooth, shiny, impossible proportions. It's not that young people BELIEVE it's the truthful picture, but that doesn't stop them from trying to MAKE IT real, by starving themselves and/or developing all sorts of personal issues.
    Some british sex aid show assembled young people to look at pictures of grown women's real breasts, and most of them were appalled by the way that NORMAL REAL BREASTS look. The girls AND the boys. It's all in the same category for me. The twisted perception we have of each other, ourselves and real human beings.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)