Tuesday, 3 January 2012

1 GOAL . . . AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION REQUIRED!

I'm not doing resolutions this year, but I just have one "goal" and that is to get healthier.

I fill my body with junk on an almost constant basis, forget to eat my greens, and drink too much wine. Is it any wonder I was plagued with health issues no one could diagnose for a large chunk of last year??? Maybe if I'd looked after myself in the first place, none of it would have happened, from me feeling the need to go to A & E, to them losing my bloody sample, and spending months worrying about why I didn't feel 100 per cent. Even today i am feeling horrible inside after the excesses of christmas and new year - sometimes it isn't until I stop that I realise how bad I feel and I've now been feeling dodgy for two days, which isn't great.

My problem is too that when I'm sad and depressed, it's almost like I FORGET to look after myself. I'll forget to eat - or just not have the energy to walk to the kitchen - I'll not force myself to get active (other than perhaps going to the pub), and I'll lose any motivation I ever had to actually cook for myself. Add that to the fact that most times that I DO try to cook I'll be interrupted by the kitchen-sharing flatmate (who is perfectly nice but, unlike her, I try not to be cooking at the same time as it's a small kitchen and it gets complicated) so most of the time I'll opt for convenience rather than anything else and just grab a ready meal.

On top of this, I really want to lose some weight and tone up. But I'm trying to see that part as a side effect of me getting healthier rather than the be all and end all. I want to be providing my body with the right type of fuel so that it works better for me - so that I can stop feeling ill like this too!

So the plan is to:

1. Buy more healthy food and cook from scratch at least a few times a week.

2. Stop going out for dinner as much (which will have the added bonus of saving me money!)

3. Trying to get into a routine where I get to bed earlier and get more sleep as a result.

4. Cutting down on my wine intake. I'm going to limit myself as much as possible this month and definitely try not to drink when I'm in the flat alone, and I'm hoping that by the end of January I'll have got myself into that habit.

5. Experiment with food I haven't tried before.

6. Exercise exercise exercise! I start back at my pole fitness class tomorrow night after more than a month away from it, which should be interesting. The girl who runs the classes is also starting up a Saturday morning class for two hours, which will include both pole work and circuit work and I'm considering trying to go at least once or twice a month, but that's dependent on my money situation really. I walk to work and back everyday anyway which is between four and five miles roundtrip in total so I've got that going for me, but I need to set myself more goals than that. I've got the Hannah Waterman dvd so if I can motivate myself to do just 20 mins of it three days a week on top of the walking and the pole class, then anything else I manage over that is a bonus. I also quite like the idea of trying out a yoga or pilates dvd - nothing complicated (I'm not very flexible), just something relaxing that could help me wind down when I'm feeling stressed out.

So actually this is a really ambitious plan I suppose but it does fall under the umbrella of this one goal, and I feel like I really need to give this my best shot.

So I could use some help. First of all, does anyone else want to get in on this with me? I need motivation!

And I need some suggestions. For websites with healthy (and, most importantly, EASY to make) recipes - preferably with not too many ingredients because that confuses me! Some tips on how to wind down earlier at night time so I can at least ATTEMPT to get an early night. And if anyone could recommend a dvd (or a website) with yoga or pilates that would help to de-stress me but not be too difficult . . . then please help me out with ideas!

Oh yeah, and also (if I'm not asking too much already!) positive thoughts please? I really want to do this. Wish me luck! :-)

17 comments:

  1. Jillian Michaels 30 day shred! Magic! And it's only 20 mins long! Plus I think it's around £6 on Amazon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I'm also trying to be a bit healthier and cook more things from scratch. I've picked a cookbook and am aiming to cook at least 50 recipes out of it over the year. Maybe try something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo I'm on the health wagon too. I am getting lots of healthy recipes off the BBC healthy recipes app and also photocopying them out of friends low fat cookbooks. I'll pass on good ones if you want them. I've joined the new gym on Jamaica St as well. SUPER cheap. Tips on going to bed early? Have a baby. I can't stay up past 10pm ;-) Plus I only have the one glass of wine a night at home cause I can't keep my eyes open long enough for another xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on the same bandwagon - no drinking during the week, eat out less, exercise more. I'm over feeling like garbage! We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I am morally opposed to cutting down on wine, but besides that, I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in :) Tae Bo and swimming here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, same plan for me really, (she says whilst having a glass of wine!), I've ordered a few cheap dvd's off of Amazon, and I've got Jillian Michael's 30 day shred which is brilliant, as it's only 20 mins, and has a 3 stage level to it! My biggest problem is buying lunches at work, so I've made it my mission to make my lunch before bed every night. As well as saving me loads of money, it'll save me loads of calories too! Good luck :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to start eating better too. I buy the healthy food but unfortunately, I also buy the junk food and eat that while the healthy food spoils.

    I walk ALL over campus during the semester - literally from one end to the other! And then I have to walk lot at work so you'd think I'd lose some weight from that, but no!

    I don't eat out much because I'm a poor student with no $$ so I at least have that going for me. I really eat too many processed foods though.

    Wishing us both lots of luck in the weight loss challenge for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am on the health wagon but not the lose weight part, if that makes sense. There is a particular reasons why i cant do both, so at the moment i am concentrating on the healthy food bit, the weight bit will come later...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My resolution is to eat healthier. It's hard. I don't like to cook so we eat out quite a bit and virtually nothing at restaurants that I want is healthy. So really I need to learn to cook but I hate it! Anyway, I'm in the same boat as you. My motivation for the gym is going to Mexico in March and I have no excuses as to why I still have 4-5 pounds of baby weight on me when my baby is now a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in. The only thing is... I'm doing it because I can barely fit into my wedding dress and I really really need to get it together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the bandwagon! I've enforced the rule of "healthy eating" in the house, all the whilst ignoring the bf's objections. If he wants pizza, he can sit outside and eat it!

    Anywhoos, tips...

    If you're feeling adventurous, do P90X. Hell.On.Earth! I bought the dvd's and now they work as a FINE doorstop. I'm way too unfit to do it...

    Have you ever followed priorfatgirl? She's lost 90+lbs in the last few years, and talks about her day to day life and struggles. It's a great motivator to be honest; at least you know you're not alone!

    Also, if you can.. Join FatFighters. ;) The support you get there is amazing and you get the added pressure of embarassment if you don't go to meetings for a few weeks! (says she who hasn't been in months. Back on it next Tues!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exercise requires more motivation than I can give right now (there's a surprise).

    However, I am totally with you on the 'no / drastically reduce the booze intake' thing. And I'm also trying to avoid cheese. Maybe I should weigh myself to see if there's any actually weight loss by cutting these 2 things out of my diet. Hmm.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Just stumbled on your blog. I am in the London area and available for personal training at your home or outdoors. I also offer a discount for groups! So everyone who wants to get fit, send me an email (pt.mollie@gmail.com) or check me out on Facebook (Pt.Mollie).

    I also work at Frame in Shoreditch (www.moveyourframe.com) and they offer tons of fun classes.

    Where is your pole dancing class? I have a friend who is looking for a studio.

    Best of luck in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been having a bit of a blogging hiatus but am now back and checking out my favourite blogs.

    Glad to find this post. I was saying 'ditto, ditto, ditto' the whole way through!

    I'll be reading to see how you get on.

    A little tip from me is to buy some Proskin slim leggings. I got them from Tescos. They make you look slimmer as you wear them, they feel bloody amazing and they reduce your cellulite - I swear! I've recommended them to so many people I should be on commission!

    Rapunzel x
    *Tales from the Tower*

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)