Friday, 4 November 2011

WORDS WILL NEVER HURT YOU (WARNING: EMO POST AHEAD) . . .

The childhood saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is one of the STUPIDEST sayings in the world, as far as I'm concerned.

It's the words that really hurt. The sticks and stones are merely superficial (in most cases) - they glance off you and they may leave a bruise or even a scar . . . but these fade.

In my opinion, words hurt more . . . and for longer.

It's amazing how quickly a well-chosen putdown can break down your defences and cut to your core, right? Eat away at all your insecurities, make you feel two foot high.

Obviously sometimes people just say something off-the-cuff, thoughtlessly, that they may not necessarily mean (god knows I've done that often enough), and I try really hard not to take these incidents to heart. But when a person MEANS it . . . when they've CHOSEN to say it . . . then that's a completely different matter. Then you know it was INTENDED to hurt. And who does that???

I take things to heart too easily, I know. I do it time and time again, and as much as I try to steel myself against it, it always breaks down my barriers. I particularly dislike when I feel like someone is being dismissive towards me. It hurts even more - because then I feel like my opinion - or me myself - doesn't matter.

I'm made of stern stuff, but I still bloody hurt all the same. I can bounce back, but the emotional scars don't leave.

This isn't brought on by anything that occurred today or even in the last few days. It's something that has been festering in my mind over the past few weeks and it's only now I actually remembered to post about it.

(I felt I had to post that disclaimer because otherwise it sounds like I'm being cryptic again. I'm not. I'm just venting.)


What about you? Do you take other people's hurtful comments or dismissive behaviour to heart, or have you learned to let it slide? If so, please share how you do it!

4 comments:

  1. I agree--stupidest saying. I do take things to heart sadly. Sometimes I think I'm just too sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first response is usually to take something to heart, no matter how logically I can look at a situation.
    I ask myself - is there some truth to it? Usually there isn't. I journal it out of my system and even though it stings for a little while I am getting better at talking myself out of believing someone's awful words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it to heart all the time, but I'm pretty quick-witted to I tend not to show it's hurt me, and reply with a worse remark (wonder why my co-workers dislike me so much...?) and that usually makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up basically being told I was stupid, ugly, worthless, etc. It fostered MAJOR insecurity in me that I still have even today. I'm still overly sensitive.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)