Saturday, 5 November 2011

I'M GETTING TOO OLD FOR THIS . . .

I'm 32. Thirty freaking two.

Occasionally that really freaks me out, because I'm definitely a YOUNG 32. I get id'd often, I live like a student , I'm quite definitely single, I've never had a long term relationship or any other sort of commitment like a mortgage (unless a mobile phone contract counts?), my room is strewn with empty wine bottles (okay, it's generally cava, which makes me feel SLIGHTLY more of a grown-up, I'm not sure why, but still!), spend hours on Facebook, go out on week nights, spend my weekend days in bed rather than going for walks or trips to IKEA . . . I'm definitely not a proper adult.

And a lot of my friends are younger than me too, and I never really give that any thought.

But occasionally I actually feel my age. Or feel like OTHER people are feeling my age.

Like last night, for example. Earlier in the week, some of my flatmates had decided we should have a film night, and I had no plans made for last night so I decided to pop along to one of their rooms to watch some chick flicks.

As they perused the selection of films available, they came across a ten chick-flicks in one type dvd boxset. "Oh I've never watched any of them," the girl it belonged to said dismissively. "They all look rubbish."

I felt my face fall. "But Girls Just Want To Have Fun is on it," I pointed out.

(Sidebar: it may be cheesy and star SJP when she hadn't worked out how to tame the frizz in her hair, but it's one of my favourite films of all time. Girl and guy from different sides of the track? Check. Controlling father? Check. Spoilt rotten rich girl who eventually gets her comeuppance? Check. Random dance sequences? Check. IT HAS IT ALL, PEOPLE!!!)

I tried to explain to them that when I was 16, my dad had recorded the film for us (it had been on in the middle of the night) on our VCR. The following day had been a snow day and me and my little sister had decided to watch it. We loved it so much that we watched it four times in one day. And even to this day I own the DVD.

Still, this failed to convince them. We ended up watching French Kiss instead.

I still couldn't believe that they had dismissed Girls Just Want To Have Fun so out of hand though. To me, it is a classic cheesy 80s dance-genre movie.

But then that was when I remembered . . . I may only have been about seven when the film first came out . . . but NONE OF THESE GIRLS HAD BEEN ALIVE WHEN IT CAME OUT. I was born in 1979 - most of them weren't born until the nineties!

Talk about making myself feel old!

And later, when the film ended, we were talking as the credits rolled and the year French Kiss was made appeared. 1997.

"Oh, you're probably the only one who really remembers that," one of the girls said teasingly to me.

"Yeah, that was the year I started uni," I replied, feeling old once again.

"I started uni in 2006," the oldest of the other flatmates said.

Shoot. Me. Now.

I'm thinking I maybe should start lying about my age. I reckon 26 would be a fairly believable age. Yeah?


Are there ever points when you just feel "Oh my god I feel so OLD"??? Or is it just me?

9 comments:

  1. You shouldn't feel old. Your friends are immature and have yet to develop good taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Now I feel old, I love that film. Obviously your flatmates aren't cool as 80s chick flicks are the best!

    See you later for some studenty behaviour! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling like this more and more recently. It wasn't until last night that my roommate said, 'I didn't realise I was moving in with a 26 year old' LIKE IT WAS THE OLDEST THING ON THE PLANET and I was all, 'Well yeah. WHERE IS YOUR FORMULA BOTTLE, KID?'

    And then I felt a little bit better.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm almost 32 too. ugh! And I totally remember that film. So much better than French Kiss, although I liked that too.
    Don't worry, 32 is still young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're at the best age. Just live it and forget about eejits who know no better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to get ID'd anytime I'd go out. But the last few years, that's changed. People think I'm old now and I hate it!

    The school I go to, I'm considered a non-traditional student because I didn't start right out of high school. Most of the people there are like 18-21ish. Each class I go to, I always look around to see if I'm the oldest one in the class. Most of the time I'm not but I think I probably am in my government class. UGH!

    BUT -- no one there makes me feel old. No one invites me to wild parties at the dorm or anything but they don't make me feel like I'm 100.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girls Just Want To Have fun is one of the best movies of all time. :) I'm the same age as you though and believe me that if I didn't have a kiddo I'd be right along w/ you in the 32 but not acting or feeling 32 group! I miss my drinking days but once you have a kid you don't want to over do it too much b/c you know that little sucker is going to be up w/ the sun! Good thing they are cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a great writer. Have you thought about writing an e-book?

    You should def. go for it. You would def keep me entertained!

    Anyway, your blog is awesome!

    Check out our blog!

    Keep in touch!

    www.shervinsworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! This makes me feel old, too. Blah!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)