Monday, 10 October 2011

SUBTITLES GONE WILD!!!!

So today while on my lunch I was reading this article online about how whoever makes the subtitles at the BBC keeps fucking them up. Which made me laugh quite a lot, in that I'm-at-my-desk-and-don't-want-to-laugh-but-my-shoulders-won't-stop-shaking-and-people-might-look type of way. Which is basically the exact same reason why I made an executive decision a few weeks ago never to look at Damn You Autocorrect while on my lunch. It's just too embarrassing.

Anyway, there was a mention in the article about how it had gotten so bad that people have set up a dedicated website to the bloopers. I have, sadly, so far been unable to find this (why didn't they post a link to it, goddammit!). But my hunt for insane subtitles has lead me to do a slightly premature Cheer-Me-Up Tuesday, as I scoured the interweb for the funniest findings.

Of course, most of the below examples have good reason as they are TRANSLATIONS into English . . . what excuse does the Beeb have, eh???

* “I threat you! I challenge you meet me on the roof tonight for a duet!” (Do I get to pick the song?)

* “This will be of fine service for you, you bag of the scum. I am sure you will not mind that I remove your manhoods and leave them out on the dessert flour for your aunts to eat.” (Yuck.)

* "Now I feel flatulent, and you did it." (said the man to the can of Heinz Baked Beans...)

"How can you say you love her if you can't even eat her poop?" (So THIS is how we declare our love these days? Okay...)

"The suit was custom-made" became in one subtitle, "The suit was made by Mr. Custom". (and he custom makes suits??? What are the chances??? Oh. Wait.)

"Pans of hot grease" became in a subtitle "pants full of hot grease" (That was a Gilmore Girls episode, apparently)


I leave you with this.

You must, I repeat, MUST look at this if you want a giggle. It worked for me.

Now . . . does anyone have any funny subtitle bloopers of their own to share? Or the link to the aforementioned bbc blooper website? Or you could just share what you think about tv stations who can't even translate their own language into subtitles correctly?

(Thanks to the following websites where I found the above bloopers. Go check 'em out if you like funny subtitle crap.)

1 comment:

  1. Yes. The BBC had Stevie Wonder's classic song "Very Superstitious" subtitled as "Very Super Tissues".

    Never, ever, will I hear the right words in my head again.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)