Tuesday, 13 September 2011

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY . . .


So at the moment, I am ridiculously broke.

I've never been good with money. Don't get me wrong - I'm not HORRENDOUS with it. I don't have any loans or any credit cards. The only debt is my overdraft, which I inevitably go into every month. But I live one monthly salary to the next with no savings to show for it. Since I rent rather than own a flat, I'm flinging money (some might say anyway!) on top of the money I already squander on bottles of wine, books and dresses.

But in the last few months, things have gotten worse. I suppose getting dumped three months ago didn't help. I wasn't used to having that much free time anymore, what with balancing my friends and family and work with a guy who actually seemed to WANT to see me more than once a week (a rarity for me!) and I couldn't STAND to be myself. Ergo, I spent a lot of money on making sure I was out of my flat and with other people as much as possible. This gradually added up and next thing I know I'm nearly four hundred quid overdrawn (and that's not including the 100 quid that the lovely Mich kindly loaned me) the day before payday. Dear God.

And I'd love to say that I plan to take it easy this month - and I DO plan to TRY! - but there's stuff I NEED to pay for. Like getting my watch fixed (I'm not coping without it - I keep looking at my wrist and wondering where it's gone), paying for an upcoming trip to Liverpool, buying one of my best friend's birthday presents, buying a (belated) wedding present for the wedding last weekend. There's other stuff as well I'm sure, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Oh, and let's not even get started on the fact that Christmas isn't that long a way away . . .

So I need to make another plan. I need to work out a way to MAKE MORE MONEY. Not loads. Just enough to let me keep my head above water. I have a couple of ideas. I can sell some cds and dvds. I have tons that I don't watch. I have probably quite a few unused beauty products and clothes around that I can probably pap onto ebay and get a couple of quid for. Me and Mich were today discussing if there was anything we could start MAKING - y'know, like jewelery, or pillows, or customised knickers (that one was inspired by my Bridesmaid knickers I was given - see yesterday's post for that photo). I also have an account on Ciao, where I partake in the occasional survey and write the occasional review. Don't get me wrong though, that's no money spinner. It's pocket change when it comes down to it. If that. But every little helps! (I currently have £2.45 in that account, woohoo!)

Anyway, this is where you all come in. I'm looking for suggestions. Ideas of way to make a little bit of extra cash. The best places to try and sell your crap online. The best websites where you can make a little bit extra money by doing a survey or doing some searches or clicking on some links. And, no, I'm not going to turn to prostitution, so don't even bother your arse to suggest it. Thanks!
Help???

9 comments:

  1. Personalised dirty pictures!

    Punters tell you what they'd like to see you do, you do it, take a picture... boom.

    And also I've spent the past 2 weeks thinking that I overspent because I was convinced you didn't take the money lol Well you kept refusing!

    Actually, did I put it down your top? I have a feeling I might have. :P

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about picking up a part-time job? Maybe something small that is only about 10-15 hours a week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple solution don't drink for a month. You'll save a fortune. You probably just going on what you say yourself spend at least £100 a month on wine. It's not a huge amount but it's a start. Musicmagpie is quite good for DVDs etc as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little part-time job would certainly be ideal, but they're hard to come by, and you could be exhausting yourself even more by taking one on...

    I know how you feel; it's worrying and you're afraid you'll never save any money at all! But you're doing the right thing by selling stuff you no longer need/want.

    Is there anything your work can do for you? More hours/different projects you could get involved in? If you feel comfortable enough, why not go in and speak to someone you feel safe with and discuss how you're getting on? They may have some good suggestions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best way to save money is sacrifice. I know its sound horrible, and sometimes its not all that easy, but forgoing stuff means you arent spending money.
    For example, my fiance was a big beer drinker but cut back on the amount he drinks, and we now save $35 a month there. I stopped buying fashion magazines and that was another $15 a month.... little things like that.
    So, like Anonymous said - best thing for you to cut back on would probably be wine. Or admit you cant afford that trip to Liverpool. Or make your friend a present?
    Good luck tho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. prior to moving to oz, i still lived at home with my parents in Belfast and I was knee deep in my overdraft EVERY month. I was (and still am) a bit of a shopping addict, the best thing I did was just be BRUTAL and sell sell sell. I made 500 quid on clothes on ebay(some were years and years old) you'll be shocked at what people buy and it actually gets addictive making money! Its a very easy way to get a little bit of extra cash going!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could always do a couple of nights a week waitressing or working behind a bar (tips are better if you are waitressing though!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same. I want to make stuff to sell on etsy or folksy but have no idea what! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ebay has saved my life a number of times..it's not a HUGE moneymaker but some money is better than NO money! xx

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)