Sunday, 11 September 2011

10 YEARS ON . . .

Time flies doesn't it? Nothing demonstrates this fact more so than the fact that today, September 11th 2011, marks the ten year anniversary of the atrocities of 9/11.

Has it REALLY been ten years? It seems like only yesterday that 21 year old me came home from a crappy job interview in Dundee, and was informed by my mum that planes had crashed into the World Trade Center. Being unemployed at the time, I sat for days and watched the horrors of the planes crashing into the Twin Towers, saw all the footage, saw people desperately searching for their relatives . . . and I cried for them. Floods and floods of tears, even though I did not know one person involved in the tragedy. I read newspaper articles about victims who were described as people who had so much to live for . . . and who lost their lives as a result of these terrorists.

It WAS horrible, and it still is even now.

A lot of horrible things have happened since 9/11. There were the bombings in Spain and in London. The failed terrorist attack virtually on my own doorstep in Glasgow four years ago. Places like Palestine and Pakistan where terrorist attacks seem to happen so often they don't really seem to be mentioned to us.

But nothing has EVER shocked me more than the events of September 11th 2001.

I'm not sure anything ever will and I HOPE that I won't be more shocked by anything else in my lifetime, because I don't think ANYONE would want the world to go through that again.


Where were YOU when it happened?

5 comments:

  1. As I said on Twitter earlier, I was sitting in the lounge at home. I got a text from a friend who lived in Rochdale. At the time, Manchester had been experiencing some violence and rioting and his text said: "Fuck! This is war! Turn on the TV"

    I thought that it had all kicked off in his area and that perhaps he was in some kind of trouble, but nothing prepared me for what played out on the telly that day.

    It's like our parents say: "everyone knows where they where when JFK was shot" and that's how it is for us with 9/11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am American and I can't tell you how much it means that you remember this day; that it means something to you. I didn't know anyone that lost their life in 9/11, but I know several people who lost their life in the Oklahoma City Bombing a few years prior and the pain in the same. It is senseless and tragic.

    Thank you for thinking of those who lost their life, and for remembering them.

    Jane
    -Houston, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a senior in high school at that time, getting out of a music class. It was pretty unusual to see that in our pretty strict Catholic school all of the TV's were on, despite that it wasn't time for student-centered "Channel One" news.

    It was pretty shocking to see the twin towers burn. I was confused and not fully understand what was happening, when I saw, live on TV, the second plane hit the towers. I knew something was terribly wrong but I had no idea what was happening, nor did the news anchors.

    And at the time many people at my school did not understand the gravity of the situation. I even heard some people joke around and say that it's probably some sort of a prank. Boy, were they wrong. What a shitty day that was.

    -L

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was still in primary school, I was ten, so P6-ish. I came home and my Papa told me immediately to turn on the television to BBC2.

    I sat for about 4hrs solid, just watching it all unfolding over and over again. It was heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've said on Kasia's blog, I was in high school in my Computing class when I'd heard that a plane had hit one of the towers. Until I got home I didn't know anything else then sat for 2 or 3 hours with my Mum and brother just watching CNN and Sky News as everything unfolded. It was just total and utter shock.

    I'm still a bit suspicious of it, though. Experts saying the buildings shouldn't have collapsed and there must have been some additional 'help' by means of explosives, rumours about bin Laden being trained years before by the CIA... I know, conspiracy theories abound!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)