Wednesday, 9 March 2011

LEATHER PANTS AND DEALBREAKERS . . .

I've just been watching the episode of "Friends" where Ross wears the leather trousers. You know the one I mean? Where he ends up coming out of his date's bathroom with his trousers in his hands and his legs covered in an odd mixture of talcum powder and baby lotion?

His date looked pretty appalled by the whole thing. I'm assuming, since she never appeared or was mentioned again in future episodes, that this was a bit of a deal-breaker for her. Which got me thinking - if I was on a date with a guy and that happened, would it actually put me off???

There's things that with me, could be potential deal-breakers:

  • Excessive deliberate flatulence. I don't care what people say, farting isn't big, and it isn't clever. I know we all can have our accidental slip-outs, but guys who think it's funny to do it all the time . . . that is not cool with me.
  • Constant game playing. Do I need to justify this one really?
  • Continuous non-responses to texts/emails/etc. If I wanted to feel like a stalker, I'd . . . um . . . become a stalker.
  • Slagging off my drinking habits. Let he without his own drunken embarrassing story cast the first pint glass at me and all that . . .

Now, what happened with Ross . . . that wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. In fact, I would actually find that absolutely hilarious. I'd probably think of it as a story to tell our kids one day. Or, since I'm not sure I actually want kids, it's the kind of story he'd be bribing me not to tell all our friends.

Which I would, by the way. Excessively. Particularly when I was drunk.

I mean, the only thing wrong with the story is that he was wearing leather trousers. Which is probably a deal breaker too. So I wouldn't have got to the bathroom stage. But that's not really the point . . .


So what about you? If that situation happened to you, what would be your reaction? What are your deal breakers???

17 comments:

  1. I LOVE that episode! It cracks me up every time I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% with your deal breakers.

    Anyone I'm dating has to like Bill Murray. There's more requirements, obviously, but I can't think of any right now. Umm... Mexican food! Must like Mexican food. And not be teetotal. And not be a prick.

    :D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always been something I've asked myself when I find myself starting to like a guy - could I do karaoke with him? I'm not a big karaoke fan, but if I think I'd be too embarassed, or he'd be too awkward about it, then he's probably not for me :)
    More recently, there's this youtube vid that I find hysterical - if a guy didn't get this sort of humour, then he is definitely not going to last!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qyM0cy2mzg&feature=BF&list=PLF3DA49981C623F1F&index=43

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make snap judgements, but don't judge.. Just wait to be proved right.. ;) So someone I can have a laugh with doing that.. Bonus

    Mainly someone who can have fun *without me*. I.e, don't care if they wana go clubbing, get pissed, whatever.. But try and drag me along because "it'll be more fun with you there" when they know it wont? dealbreaker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One time, this guy picked me up for our date wearing a shirt with skeletons in different sex positions and a leather wallet attached to ratty jeans by a chain. He took me to a nice restaurant where we were politely turned away from the door because of the way he was dressed.....HUGE deal breaker for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dealbreaker for me is no knowledge of modern English grammar. Ack. I know, it makes me sound like a complete prig, but it's true.

    Oh, and farting. I'm completely with you on the farting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My deal breaker would be if a guy talked about himself all night, and how much he earned, and showed me pictures on his cell phone of his huge...TV... and new house and car and boat and blah blah blah.
    It actually happened, and i used the old " have a friend call with a pretend emergency " trick to get out of after dinner drinks. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one of my favourite episodes! That and the one when Ross gets a spray tan, and the one where he gets his teeth whitened :-)
    Deal breaker would have to be if he smoked.... can't stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is my favorite episode. I cried from laughing so hard the 1st time I saw it. The leather pants would have been a deal breaker but the whole incident itself wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I love a guy that can make me laugh and that would have me rolling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never actually thought about deal breakers before... I have absolutely no idea! Although I think I'd find the talcom powder thing funny too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wouldn't have been a deal breaker. Once I'd finished laughing I'd totally want a second date!!

    I like your list. To it I have to add that if someone has a go at you for not answering your phone when they call that would be a dealbreaker for me - I always call back as soon as I see the call/message so I don't think its justified to tell me off, especially before we've even been on a date! (Yes..its happened!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't mind me i'll be in the corner judging everyone with McDisco up there!

    Smoking is one for me too, took me long enough to quit

    bad personal hygiene is one for me too

    ReplyDelete
  13. My boyfriend goes into the bathroom when he has to fart. I can still hear it but I think its funny that he goes in there to do it so I don't have to experience the wraith. A deal-breaker is not answering texts and not showing that they care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, I have chosen you to receive a blogger award! Come check it out at my blog. Just click here to go right to the post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know, leather pants would probably be a deal breaker for me. I just can't imagine why a man - who hasn't just stepped out of a time machine from 1984 - would need to wear leather pants.

    I would run.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh, I started laughing before I even finished the first sentence.

    In that situation I would probably laugh a lot, too.

    I think a dealbreaker for me would be no job. Or like no car. I'm not trying to be a sugar mama.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with your deal breakers. However, I like leather and a man in leather trousers would be most appreciated. That's if, when the time comes, he CAN actually take the trousers off :D

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)