Monday, 7 February 2011

THE LAND OF NOD . . . OR NOT!

I am not a good sleeper.

I would go as far as to say I'm maybe a little bit insomniac - if there is such a thing. Don't get me wrong, in general once I'm actually ASLEEP I'm fine and could cheerfully sleep for several weeks without too much of a fuss. It's generally the actual GETTING TO SLEEP part that is my stumbling block.

My mind starts to work overtime, I start panicking about what the world is all about, about how I'm not immortal, and about every little niggly thing I've forgotten to do during the day which suddenly seems as important, if not MORE important, than the "why are we all here?" deep burning question. It is extremely rare that I'm ever asleep before midnight - even if I've been exhausted all day, once I get to sometime around six pm, my second wind kicks in and suddenly I could give the Duracell bunny a run for its money.

But last night I experienced one of the worst sleeps of my life.

First of all, I was wide awake before I even tried to go to sleep. But it was after midnight and I was up early so it seemed like a plan to go to sleep. Huh - great plan that was. First of all, I was doing that random jerking where your entire body jolts like you are falling. Someone once told me that when this happens, your heart has stopped for a moment. Whether that is true or not, I then became convinced I was going to die.

Then I was getting fidgety and tossing and turning and couldn't find a comfortable position. I was too hot, then too cold. Then a mixture of the both. I had no idea whether I was conscious or unconscious - I know I was sliding in and out of some weird dreams, but couldn't tell where reality ended and dreamworld began. Of course, I didn't feel remotely tired until ten minutes before my alarm startled me out of my waking nightmare. Then I could have slept for 12 hours solid without the slightest bit of effort on my part.

The worst part of it though was that I wasn't alone. Not only did I sleep badly, but I caused someone else to sleep badly too, with all my moving about, and apparently I was doing a lot of "prodding" - which I can only assume happened in one of those rare moments where I was asleep as I certainly don't remember doing that.

Man, sleeping is SUCH a pain sometimes . . .

Any surefire insomnia cures? Or even half-assed, "might-work-but-I'm-not-that-sure" ones? Please feel free to share. I really don't want this to happen to me again anytime soon...

11 comments:

  1. Do this: Exercise - Shower - Dinner - Bed regularly and you'll see how you get back your sleep... I do, at least. I used to be a bit insomniac too. Not only that, but my dreams usually are the scariest stuff ever, like, falling with a car over a bridge into a lake and being trapped by sea weed? yeah, that's a common one.

    Your mind and body has to be tired... then none of that happens ;) And the best - it's natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i had depression i had the same " getting to sleep " issues as you but i would wake at all hours of the night too. I was taught that a regular bed time ( and wake time ) help re-set your body clock, and that if you allow yourself to just have the thought, process it and then put it away ( sounds easy in theory, i know ) you'll fall asleep faster.
    I also found sprinkling lavender oil on my bed linen helped me sleep and it smells pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that sounds horrible :( Poor you. I'm not the worlds greatest sleeper, but I haven't had a disturbed night like yours in a good while. I hope things improve, and quickly!
    I'm in agreement with the routine above, but I also swear by night time tea- my bedtime tipple is Clipper's 'Sleep Easy', which calms me if nothing else. Hope you find a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scroll down to the section about good sleep hygiene. I suffer on and off with awful insomnia and I find that when I get back into a bedtime routine and follow some of the advice listed, things settle down.

    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Insomnia-Poor-Sleep.htm

    I also agree that exercise is good for tiring out the mind and body - but I swap my dinner time and bathing round so as to not go to sleep on a full tummy as that keeps me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah i hate having nights like the one you just described! But its also a bit of a relief that im not alone in my crazy thoughts and dreams.

    -L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Jesus, I am the worst sleeper ever. My brain won't shut off and I lie there thinking about things I have to do etc. There's no point even trying to sleep till I'm too tired to resist. Regular routines do help but not always. Even when I worked more regular hours I'd have insomnia periods. I wish you could just turn your mind off for a while so it didn't think at all.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I know the feeling! I've had erratic sleep habits for as long as I can remember. Before, I used to think it was because I had a lot weighing on my mind. But now I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be wired at odd times and I'll have trouble sleeping no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lmao still can't believe you were prodding during the night!!

    I have no cures, I'm afraid - my sleeping pattern's been all over the place. Although for the past week my new 'thing' is to wake up before 6am and fail miserably at getting back to sleep. Boo!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an insomniac too so I'm going to look at your comments for suggestions because I just don't know. Good luck tho hun!

    Melanie's Randomness

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg i love sleeping!
    i sleep all the time!

    lets swap places please!
    try reading in bed - always puts me to sleep within 30 min!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww. Those nights are the WORST! You sound like an anxious little bunny - I would blame the anxiety first and foremost! Then getting into a weird sleeping pattern just continues the cycle!
    I think the suggestion of exercise (not too close to bed time but maybe before dinner like someone else suggested) is a good idea! Tire yourself out physically but also get those feel good endorphins happening - you're less likely to feel anxious if you're all blissed out from exercise.
    Good luck!!!
    - Kez

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)