Saturday, 30 October 2010

LOOSE LIPS . . .

Here's the thing - if you tell me a secret that you don't want anyone else to know, you can trust me with it. I won't go around telling people. I'm not that kind of person.

I know quite a lot of people's secrets and they stay inside me. Even the secrets of people I am no longer friends with, weirdly enough.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough space in there to contain all those secrets. Something has got to give. In my case, this means I don't really have secrets of my own. I will willingly share my life, my past, my experiences with just about anyone who asks (and some people who don't.) With or without alcohol in me. It's verbal vomit . . . all over the place.

It's unfortunate that a few of the relationships I've had have been ones that were meant to be secret. Because I was no good at that. The sneaking around is fun at first, but ultimately I'm quite an honest person . . . so I would have to start to share eventually. It would start off with my uber-best friends . . . and then start to spiral out of control a little.

Or the fact that of late, this crush of mine has become not quite so secret as I tend to get drunk and blab about it. It's went from two colleagues knowing about it, to about five or six. Maybe the next person I blab about it to will be HIM. Eek.

I don't see myself as a particularly secretive person. Although an ex of mine once said he felt like he had learned more about me from stuff he'd read written by me on a website than he had learned from me directly. Which I found a bit amusing. If you want to know stuff about me, all you have to do is ask. Or read my blog, I suppose. . .

Anyway the point is that your secrets are safe with me. My OWN, on the other hand, are not.


Are you good at keeping secrets?

14 comments:

  1. I can actually relate. Maybe bloggers are more likely to be blabber mouths about their own lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the whole I'm quite good at keeping secrets, but have been known to have the odd slip depending on the quantity of red wine consummed!
    Depends how juicy the secret is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like a bank vault - once you tell me a secret and you tell me its not to be told to anyone else, its locked away forever.
    Sadly, my best friend said the same thing to me that your ex said - she learned more about me reading my blog than she did from me in person. However, she never ASKED me anything, so my blog was where i could get it all out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have the same problem, i think i was born without shame so i have no problem blabbering about anything to anyone

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sometimes the same way. So I need not wonder how people found out about my little secret because I probably told them about it anyway. Hehehehe. But yea, I seriously need to learn to keep my own secret.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too I can blab about almost anything about myself, I don't have filters. Besides, I once dated a co-worker (which, of course, was supposed to be secret) and I was the worst at it. Any time someone asked "are you guys together or... something? you act weird" I said "oh well, yes, uhm, but its secret ok?". Damn...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend who has no shame and will tell anyone and everyone about her past. Considering some of the things she done in the past, she really should keep some of it to herself. She knows she needs to filter herself better. Maybe one day she will.

    I thought I was good at keeping my own secrets but then I had a HUGE crush on a guy I worked with. He was in a different dept so I didn't see him much. Well, I guess he figured out from my witty banter that I had a crush on him and he told someone who worked in my dept. She made it a point on a regular basis to let me know that he had absolutely NO interest in me whatsoever. I don't know why I didn't stand up to her and tell her to stop it but I didn't and I regret that because shortly after, she started being rude to me about other things too. But then she left my dept. for another one and I didn't have to deal with her anymore. Then I found out through work gossip that she also had a major crush on this same guy but he wasn't into her either apparently. That made me smile great big inside. I didn't say anything about my crush and I'm not sure if anyone else knew or not.

    Ok, I don't know why I told you all that. Sorry, I'm sure you don't care.

    ANYways, awhile back I had mentioned in a Half Full Friday post that a friend had gotten me a pretty bracelet as a souvenier of her vacay. You mentioned you wanted to see it. I posted a picture of it on Friday but it isn't very good. I have a really sh*^%$#y camera. It's kind of enough to give you an idea of what it might look like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll admit it: I am the worst secret-keeper in the world. If you want something to remain "just between you and me," you'd better keep it just between YOU because the ME part is going to blab about it all over town.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so like me, the part that I don't share much in real life but can be totally over share in my blog :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the... what secret cult / brainwashing message have you hidden in this post, P? There's a friggin' Team Cruise & Travolota google ad at the top of the page!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can generally keep other people's secrets much better than my own. I tend to not have any secrets. I'm kind of an open book, really. I overshare. I should probably learn to control that a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can keep secrets and like you I dont have many of my own. I too would find it hard to keep things overly private where relationships etc are concerned. If i'm happy I like to share the news, even if just with a few close friends. I'm pretty much an open book to some but then again, as I dont share everything with everyone maybe there is still an air of mysetery with those who I keep a lil more distant :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm the same way, i keep everyone else's secrets and i tell most of mine!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)