Friday, 5 February 2010

THE MYSTERY OF THE USED BATH TOWEL* . . .

*Yes, could this be a title for a new mystery novel? I think so. Not sure how well it would actually SELL but hey-ho...

(Isn't it weird how my Friday posts have tended towards flatmate-related rants recently??? Just a thought...)

On Thursday night, I popped out at nine-ish (on a WORK night? Hell to the yeah!) to meet my sister for some drinks and catching up. We polished off a bottle of wine by about twenty to ten, which was the point when I informed sis we had a decision to make. Did we stay in Vodka Wodka and drink overpriced (14.95 for a bottle of rose! Probably should have stuck to the yummy cocktails but it was a wine kind of night...) wine, or nip to the shops before ten pm to get some far cheaper (but probably tastier) wine and head back to mine. We opted for option number two and headed for Iceland (frozen food store, not the country) which always has good alcohol deals (despite alcohol generally not being a form of frozen food). But the security guard on the door took one look at us, immediately realised we were there for alcohol, and warned us that the queue was fairly long and since it was only ten minutes until alcohol-buying-cutoff-time, we might not actually get served on time.

That was very nice of him, right? (Girls got to have their wine, and all that.)

So we ran across Byres Road to Oddbins instead. (We nearly got hit by a couple of cars in the process but time was running out . . . Priorities and all that!)

Which has a fairly crap collection of rose wine. At one point my sister wondered aloud if there was any sparkling rose. The only one I could see was nearly 30 quid. Ouch. That was NOT happening.

So armed with two bottles of random rose wine (seriously, Oddbins? No Blossom Hill or Echo Falls White Zin? You're killing me here.) and after picking up a takeaway pizza for my sis, we sat on my bed, gossiped, watched "Music and Lyrics" (well I say "watched" but we talked through it instead) and got drunk.

Eventually my bladder could hold no more wine. "I need to pee," I slurred.

"Me too!" Sis agreed.

For some reason, DESPITE both bathrooms being free for a change, we decided to go into the bathroom together and continue to hang out while we peed.

(My sister is pretty much the only person I can pee in front of, FYI)

The first thing I noticed when we entered the bathroom was that one of my towels had been moved.

And was pretty damp.

I hadn't showered that day (I don't shower everyday, okay??? There, I SAID it) so I knew the wet towel wasn't my doing.

Once again, some ASSHOLE had decided to just use my stuff.

Drunk me copes worse with this than sober me apparently.

I increased my personal volume by a great deal of decibels and started SCREAMING about the horrible person who had decided to use my towel. My sister, to my great delight, joined in. We didn't know who the fuck the culprit was, but we were prepared to give them hell. They would RUE THE DAY they used my towel.

Of course, since we were drunk, it didn't make much sense. For example:

Me: I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WOULD USE MY TOWEL LIKE THAT! WHY DON'T THEY USE THEIR OWN? DON'T THEY HAVE ANY . . . SELF RESPECT???
(I meant didn't they have any respect for other people's belongings. NOT self-respect. If they'd had no self-respect they'd probably have PEED on it or something...)

ME: IT MIGHT NOT EVEN HAVE BEEN ONE OF THEM WHO DID IT. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ONE OF THEIR BOYFRIENDS!
SIS: EW! I WANTED TO HAVE A SHOWER IN THE MORNING BUT I DON'T WANT TO TOUCH A TOWEL COVERED IN YUCKY HAIRY MAN GERMS!
ME: IT'S OKAY, I HAVE OTHER TOWELS! BUT YEAH . . . EW! MAN GERMS ON TOWELS SUCK!

ME: I HATE THEM ALL!!! I WANT TO KILL THEM ALL! THIS IS WHY I WANT TO LIVE ALLOOOOONNNNNEEEEEEEEE!!!
SIS: MY HUSBAND STEALS MY FOOD ALL THE TIME! I WANT TO LIVE ALONE TOOOO!
(She didn't really mean that, but he DOES steal her food!)

After we'd screamed for a bit, I turned to my sister and said in a normal level of voice: "I'm not sure anyone else is in the flat."

Well it was fun while it lasted I guess . . .

But seriously, how rude is it to just use someone else's towel like that? And not even have the decency to cover it up?

My blood is boiling again just thinking about it.

Grrr.

I NEED TO MOVE OUT!!!

20 comments:

  1. The least they could have done (had it not been one of your flat mates, but one of their guests) is let you know and apologize and possibly offer to wash them for you. That would be the decent thing to do. Although if it was one of your flat mates... that's just wrong. Good reason to rant =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just nasty!

    The best thing I ever did was get my own place. If you can afford it, I say do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beyond gross.... I would die. Ugh!!

    Hope you make it through the weekend without anyone else using your stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUCK. That is REALLY gross. We once had one of the hubby's friends stay at our house and he had a shower in the morning. I went into the bathroom to have mine and my towel was all wet. I was so upset! My hubby thought it was gross too and lectured him.
    He was all, "That's how I was brought up - use whoever's towel".
    Which is fine and all, but we left a towel for him in the spare bedroom - on his bed where he couldn't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahhahahah! And after all that, no one was home to hear the rant?! That's too bad.

    Have you been looking for a place of your own or just imagining the dream space in your head?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my shared house, I actually have my own block of knives, my own saucepan and oven dish hidden in my cupboard because other people treat decent stuff like shit. They can get fucked if they think they're using my Sabbatier knives!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the very many I don't like having a roommate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading all of your terrible roommate stories, I think you need your own place. Who uses someone elses towel and then doesn't tell them?! Yuck. You should start keeping everything in your room with a lock on the door lol

    P.S - I left something on my blog for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only is it rude to use someone else's stuff like that, but then they had the audacity to not be there to hear a perfectly good drunken rant! Bastards!

    My college room mates all sucked. Even the guy I was really good friends with and I finally had a falling out. Mostly my fault, I'll admit.

    But, since then, I've been lucky to have pretty good room mates. Even though the current one doesn't keep up on the laundry like I would prefer...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The worst thing is they will think you are so over reacting...typical males.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so gross! And out of line to just use other people's towels lol sorry for laughing, I would be screaming and lash it out too probably right at them if alcohol's still in the system.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...eeew...

    I'm pretty sure I pulled faces while I was reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I even use my sister's towel I get hell. Using someone else's is just wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your stories are really funny, but on a serious note, that is pretty gross. I think you have to do one of two things:

    1. Move out, or
    2. REALLY GET THEM BACK.

    Seriously. You need to go girl-on-a-mission.

    If something is not theirs, WHY ARE THEY USING IT?

    When I was in my teens, my stepsister came to live with me (so it was me, parents, two sisters and this stepsister - shes three years younger than me.) She had a thing about borrowing other peoples clothes and socks without asking. She wouldn't dare take mine, but would take my other sister's, who is two years younger than her. Once, I noticed a pair of my socks had gone missing. Okay, they were just socks, but they were NEW socks with a certain pattern and I'd just bought them. Hours later, they appeared, worn, in the dirty-laundry basket. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. Her defence? 'Well I didn't know they were yours!'

    Me: 'Well you obviously knew they weren't YOURS either, so why take them? So it's okay to just wear other people's clothes as you please, but not mine? Wrong - from now on you wear YOUR clothes and undergarments, and yours only!'

    Was so goddamn glad when she moved back to Yorkshire.

    GRRR.

    (PS. Blossom Hill White Zin is my fave. I SO WANTED TO GO TO MANCHESTER!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was one of the funniest posts I've ever read. XD

    Aw, loved it. =')

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey
    Companies House Webcheck
    Webcheck Companies House
    Company House Webcheck
    Companies House Webcheck Service

    [url=http://perosnalbinking.v3host.be/companies-house-webcheck.html]companies house webcheck[/url]

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)