Wednesday, 6 January 2010

WHERE IN THE WORLD WEDNESDAY: WHERE ELSE WOULD I RATHER BE???


So . . . it's time for the fabulous "Where in the World" Wednesday, the brainchild of the lovely Classy in Philadelphia.

The idea of WITWW is to post a picture of you in someplace in the world...it doesn't have to be somewhere foreign or tropical. Just a picture of you somewhere that you consider traveling.

So today, I'm going to do just that. But I'm going to cheat a little and put a bit of a spin on things. It's not that I'm a rule-breaker, you understand. I just like to put my very own "Paula-stamp" on things sometimes.

So where am I today?


Ooooh, I'm in Glasgow! (Next to George Square, to be precise!)

This picture was taken by my ex on Christmas Eve 2007 (as you can see, unlike this year, 2007 did NOT feature a white Christmas - thank God for that!) - I'd had a very nice night out and as I spoke to my mum about the next day's plans, he snapped this picture of me on his phones. So the photo gives me very fond memories.

"But wait . . . " I hear you say. "Don't you LIVE in Glasgow?"

Well, yes, I do . . . but since I LOVE Glasgow, I thought why not make my contribution to WITW Wednesday this week about me in Glasgow and my love of the city?

(If this is cheating, I'm sorry!)

Now I was going to use this opportunity to do a sort of mini-guide to Glasgow, should you ever decide to pop over here. However . . . I'm not much use as a tour guide. Glasgow was once the city of culture, but it's been a while since I've been to any museums or galleries. It was also voted one of the best cities for shopping in the UK. And while I DO love my shopping, I haven't done much in a while. HOWEVER . . . one thing I DO have a bit of knowledge about are the drinking establishments in Glasgow. (Surprised?)

So, in case you ever decide to come visit, here is your handy print-out-and-keep guide to some watering holes in Glasgow you should give a whirl . . .



GLASGOW CITY CENTRE:

If you want to have a bit of a pub-crawl, then Bath Street in the city centre is probably your best bet. Some consider the bars along here for posers but I love them (mind you, I AM a poser). The majority of them are basement level bars so you might need to keep a sharp lookout if you have a specific one in mind (and watch the stairs on the way down!) but they are mainly fairly well sign-posted. My particular favourites are Bunker, where I had my 30th birthday, and Moskito, where I had my first date with F (and also where another ex told me he loved me for the first time). There's sure to be a bar to appeal to you in this street anyway!

Another poser's paradise is the Merchant City area of town - my favourite pub over that end is Metropolitan, a lovely bar which does a great range in cocktails. Not cheap, but worth having a couple of drinks there all the same!

The Social in Royal Exchange Square is also a nice place to go and the cocktails in there are damn cheap . . . and tasty. The staff can be a tad wankerish at times though; but it's the luck of the draw. I like it in there anyway as it's convenient for everywhere including one last drink before you pop for the last train/bus/subway homewards.

And if you fancy going to a place where you can act like a total eejit, dance like an idiot and no one will care, try Reflex, an eighties bar on Renfield Street (upstairs in Lakota). I absolutely ADORE going there, if only to dance away to as much Wham, Rick Astley and Billy Ocean as you like. Only problem is it closes at midnight - but then I rarely last longer than that when drunk anyway!


WEST END

As a West End girl myself, I generally prefer to hang out in this area - cuts out the taxi home. There's the Lansdowne, a lovely basement bar near Kelvinbridge subway station. (It also does fab food, and there's a pub quiz on a Monday that we came runners-up in once.) Then there's the bars in Ashton Lane - my personal favourite is Vodka Wodka, where you once again can get some fab cocktails - including the Vanilla Skyy (which tastes a bit like lemon meringue pie) and the Chocolate Dream . . . which is essentially an alcoholic chocolate milkshake. (Can you tell I'm a cocktail girl?) Then there's Oran Mor, a pub/restaurant/club/venue set in a beautiful old church. (This is ESPECIALLY handy for me!)

In terms of clubs, you have the aforementioned Oran Mor and also Viper. I went to Viper once and absolutely loved it. It's pretty small but has a great atmosphere and good music.


SOUTH-SIDE

I'm not really au fait with the south side of Glasgow unfortunately, which is the other trendy area. When I go we tend to end up in a pub called The Corona (which looks like an old man's pub but tends to also be full of a lot of younger folk) followed by The Shed. Most nights spent at The Shed are good ones in my experience, plus I once pulled a hot irish guy there, so I would definitely recommend a night out there!


AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST . . .

For the ULTIMATE in variety, you COULD try the infamous subcrawl. Glasgow subway is basically a big circle around the city centre, west end and part of the south side - there's fifteen stops in total. So you basically buy an all day ticket, stop at every stop and pop into the nearest bar for a swift one. I've never done this myself - I don't think I could sink fifteen glasses of wine and still be ALIVE - but a lot of my friends have done it and lived to tell the tale - although they've been bloody hungover afterwards.

One day I hope to try it myself - although I WILL have to cheat!

Apart from the inevitable hangover, the only downside is a couple of the stops are in fairly dodgy areas and you may find the pub you go to is a bit . . . well, rough.


And so concludes our whistle-stop tour of where to get completely pissed in Glasgow! I hope you will bear it in mind should you ever stop by, and if you do, I hope you'll get in touch and invite me out with you!!!

22 comments:

  1. This is definitely not cheating! You can definitely travel within your own hometown!

    Cute photo!

    Thanks for participating. Oh, and I'm following you on Twitter- I'm @jesslaw. I just don't mention my blog on there because I try to use Twitter more professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! I want to come visit Glascow... you make it sound so magical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to get pissed in Glasgow... but first I'm going to get pissed in Dublin... No offense... But I am an Irishman...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you! :)

    I want to make it to your neck of the woods one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know if I were to ever go to Glasgow this is the exact type of information I would be looking for. Where can I find a good drink!?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'd love to visit Glasgow!!! You make it sound amazing! Australia IS amazing and I personally think everyone should go there at some point in their lives, lol. I was lucky enough to spent a semester there during college! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! One of my best friends lives in Scotland, North Berwick to be exact (I hope I'm correct in my spelling) and I hope to visit her sometime soon. If we do we will definitely HAVE to make a visit to Glasgow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant! Although you did miss out a couple of the establishments that you and I have frequented on several occasions... :P

    The Clockwork Orange / Subcrawl!

    Holy fuck why haven't I found anyone to do this with me yet? Finally, I have a New Year's Resolution!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You? Alcohol? No, it cannot be true!! A fabulous guide though!! I would love to go to Glasgow, I have friends there and in Edinburgh but have never made it that far up!! I also love the saying "whistle-stop tour"!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to visit Glasgow!
    Nice pic by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Glasgow sounds awesome! I like that name too. I don't blame ya for doing this is where I am instead hehe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i want to hear your accent...haha.
    for some reason your 'blog voice' comes out sounding american to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you put your own Paula stamp on this...and for most of us Glasgow is a far away place that we would like to travel to someday...especially now that I know it has a lot of shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I WANT TO GO! What a good WITWW.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy to hear that you love your town! so many people can't stand where they live, however i love my town and I'm glad that you love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Paula, Love the post! I didn't make it over to Glasgow when I was abroad this summer but now I wish I had!

    Also, I nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger award today! Check out http://kindofthatgirl.blogspot.com to receive it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you live in a fun place and I definitely wanna go there someday. Probably in one long extended euro trip as well :D take me pub crawling and partying, please :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a fun game... and I have never been to Glasgow... I would love to go now after reading all of this!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was IN Glasgow in October/November, and I think because of my company, I didn't enjoy it all that much. I think if I'd done Glasgow your way, I'd have had Way More Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe one day I'll make it to Glasgow...not any time soon, I need furniture first. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. You forgot a few establishments that I love to frequent...

    The Social and Kushion being the premier ones. Then obviously the place to be used to be King Tut's Wah Wah Hut (just because of the name. Awesomeness! :) And on that premise, the Buff Club also gets on the list!)

    But the Shed. Wahey! Rocks my socks!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)