Wednesday, 16 December 2009

SHAG MY LIFE . . .

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "fuck my life", does it?

So, as feared, two days after we booked our holiday Lanzarote - in fact, not even two full days - the frigging company went into administration.

Not only is our holiday now cancelled, we don't know what the fuck is happening to our money.

At the time of paying, we were asked if we wished to just put down the deposit but we said no - we wanted to pay it off then and there. However, only 108 pounds has left my account and went into theirs. Which presumably IS the deposit since the full holiday cost around 600. (Should have known that was too good to be true eh?)

But we don't know if the rest is still going to be taken or not. My bank don't know either. (Fat lot of good THEY are.)

The most ironic thing of all, to me, is that the reason me and my sister are royally screwed right now is because we paid for our holiday using my debit card. In other words, we used money WE HAVE to pay for this holiday. If we'd paid it using a credit card we'd probably know exactly where we stood right now.

For someone like me, who has never lived outwith her means - I have never had a credit card and the only store card I ever had I paid off straight away and never used again (The bank tonight told me they reckon its been cancelled) - the fact I am being punished for being careful with my money rankles at me.

I have never had a credit card because I don't want the temptation.

A 250 pounds overdraft is bad enough, as far as I'm concerned. I don't feel comfortable spending money I don't have. It's just the way I was brought up! (Mind you, even my parents surprised me tonight, as you'll see in a paragraph's time...)

I know people who pay for holidays on credit cards with money they don't have. Why should they be in a better financial situation after something like this than me, who used the money I'd put aside from my 30th birthday money from my mum to pay most of my share of the holiday? I was saving it for something nice, like she told me to. A nice holiday with my lovely sister, something to look forward to during that dark period after New Year where everything is cold and depressing. And now it's all screwed up.

And I'm getting lectures left right and centre about how I should have paid for it on a credit card. Which really isn't helping now. Hell, I even let the bank guilt me into APPLYING for one. (It was approved, btw.) Even my DAD, who my sister called for advice, couldn't believe we hadn't used a credit card. WTF??? It's because of him that I never GOT a credit card! (I mean, this is the guy who encouraged me to get a student loan and INVEST it rather than fritter it away like most students. In the end, I just didn't bother getting one at all. If I wasn't going to get to fritter it away I didn't really see the point...)

Anyway, I'm a little upset now. And I know I'll get the money back eventually one way or the other. It's just it's this no mans land at the moment where I don't know where I stand. The bank don't seem clear whether the airline will take the rest of the money or not so I'm not sure what to claim for. I don't want to try and book another holiday when I don't know if there's going to be enough money in my account to cover it. Me and my sister are limited to the week we have both managed to get off work, with only a days leeway in one direction. We both REALLY still want to go to Lanzarote but its looking unlikely we'll get a flight out the days we want, and its REALLY unlikely we'll be getting a holiday there for less than 300 quid each like the one we had booked.

It's just totally up in the air and it's ruined what already was a shitty day.

I fucking hate the credit crunch and the economy and airlines and THE FACT I DON'T LIVE SOMEWHERE WARM ALL YEAR ROUND.

Rant over.

Shag my life . . .

7 comments:

  1. Girl Im so sorry to hear that!!! I would be totally bummed. I hope another trip works out for you.

    I think you did the right thing by not paying credit card... I know from experience it's just best to avoid them.

    I think Shag My Life has a nice ring to it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah how ridiculously frustrating. I'm sorry! Wish there was something I could write to make you feel better, but I don't think there is. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that is shagged isnt it?

    Cant your bank put a block on your account so that if that company tries to wothdraw any money the money is withheld?

    Also, next time, save a buit more money and....come to Australia! You want warm, sunny, beaches and hot boys? We got all that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa!
    You are really pissed! I can imagine I would be too.
    I'm guessing the company is ATOL or ABTA registered? If so then you should be covered to either A) get your money back or B) They will ensure your holiday goes ahead as planned.
    Google ATOL or ABTA for more info.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Amy... On both parts! Get the bank to block the payment... keep saving and come to the land of the bronzed bodies. It's warm all year round at my place and the beers are on ice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DO you take paypal? I'm sure we could rally round and all that jazz!

    (didn't realise you'd had the CC lecture - my sincere apologies!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. *huuuuuuuugs*

    Oh honey I'm so sorry, I didn't know you were affected by the airline thing :(

    I totally agree with how shit it is that you're being made to feel bad for being sensible with money and paying with a debit card. It's all fucking arse-backwards. GRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)