Sunday, 11 October 2009

TO FACEBOOK OR NOT TO FACEBOOK - IT'S NOT SO MUCH A QUESTION AS A TITLE...

So it could be said that I'm a bit of a facebook addict. In fact, me and a guy I know who is ALSO a bit of an addict were discussing this one day and he said to me "Is it bad that the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is check Facebook?" My reply? "If I wake up IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT the first thing I do is check my Facebook."


My updates are regular. Perhaps TOO regular. While I try not to fall into the whole "Paula is doing something drastically banal but wants you all to know about it all the same", it's all too easy to find myself wanting to put a new update just for the sake of it. I tried the "Status Statistics" application out and it informed me that I had updated my status over 600 times in 400 or so days. I'd say most of these occurred since I got my Blackberry in February and realised I could update pretty much anytime and anywhere. I use my updates for a variety of purposes - to vent, to share anything random that pops into my head, or to prove how fine I am after a break-up.

Facebook has became a pretty big part of my life in the past year, which is pretty sad I suppose. But I can't help it. It has led me to form a pretty good idea of the pros and cons of it though, based on my own experience.

Paula is . . . now going to share these pros and cons with everyone . . .

(See what I did there? An update within a post. Wow, that's deep, huh???)


PROS: Getting to catch up with old friends, many of whom I haven't seen in years. It's actually helped me come to terms with a lot of anger I had from my past regarding the way certain people had treated me, or the way I FELT like they had treated me, and I've been able to make my peace with it.
CONS: When someone adds you as a friend that you really want to turn down because you don't particularly like them, but you don't really feel like you can because you have so many mutual friends, it would be bloody obvious. (I don't like to offend. Well, I don't like to offend people who aren't my FRIENDS...)


PROS: Hooking up with the guy. Despite the fact our relationship, such as it was, didn't last, I still don't regret it - just for that initial few months of reconnecting and chatting all night online, it was amazing.
CONS: The fact that ANOTHER guy from school has now asked me out about three times and is failing to get the hint. I've now had to lie and say I'm sort of seeing someone, since I don't have the heart to tell him I'm really not interested. Which now means I can't mention anything about going out pulling random strangers to make the guy jealous, because I don't want THIS guy to think I was lying to him about not strictly being single. Oh what a tangled web we weave...


PROS: Being able to share every random thought you have via status update.
CONS: Receiving a private message from the guy's friend (also from high school) asking if I share everything I think, feel or do on facebook and, when I replied "yeah, so???" was judged fairly extensively for doing so.


PROS: Mafia Wars is fun.
CON: It's now nearly as full-blown addiction as Facebook itself.


PROS: People being able to comment on your status updates makes it feel more interactive.
CONS: If people DON'T comment on my status update it makes me feel as sad as when I don't get many comments on a blog post (hint, hint!!!)


PROS: Being able to stalk people
CON 1: They can stalk you right back.
CON 2: Sometimes you see stuff you don't want to see.


Ultimately though, since I discovered Facebook, I think my REAL life has become that little bit more interesting as a result of my Facebook life. I just need to remember the two are actually SEPARATE and maybe the addiction won't COMPLETELY have me in its thrall...


9 comments:

  1. FB does makes things a little more interesting. I don't use it much anymore, but I still check it regularly and then I talk to my best friend about what everyone we went to high school is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate to this post. My addiction is Bebo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had my facebook accout for about 4yrs now and I think my love affair ended 6 months ago when I found there were no more long lost friends to search for plus I felt I had to accept requests from people who then never spoke to me on there hence my big cull last night.

    Mafia Wars...i just don't get it? And farmville..are they games?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many negative points and yet I'm still being made to feel like an outsider for not having one?!

    Misery loves company, but I'm not falling for this one! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mafia wars is fun indeed! I mean, you dragged me into that addiction! you are my capo! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might not really into status updates so much but the reason I'm so often in facebook these days is cafe world.

    Shame on me, I know, but that game is addictive and definitely taking over my life :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I reject people.

    AND....

    I'm hooked to Bejeweled. Beating friends and family. Shit. I may need to find a 12 step program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm addicted to Facebook too and actually got my husband addicted with me. I check it multiple times a day. I'm suprised work hasn't blocked it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know for a fact that my real life has changed A LOT through facebook... I'll just say it keeps me well informed of all the things people I don't know that much do/think.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)