Thursday, 17 September 2009

THE ACCIDENTAL NON-CONFORMIST . . .

Obviously, we all know that Patrick Swayze sadly passed away the other day. Now, I LOVED Patrick, but the one thing I don't have in common with a lot of Patrick Swayze lovers???

(My god, I'm not sure how to say this as it's sure to alienate me from you all, but I have to get it out there. Okay . . . deep breath . . . here goes . . . )

(PLEASE don't hate me!)

I . . . . can't stand the film "Dirty Dancing".

(Please don't look at me like that, all judgey. I wouldn't judge you if you didn't like . . . well, "Clueless"!)

In theory, I SHOULD like it. I WANTED to like it. I like most films of that ilk. Most people who list it as one of their favourite movies would then follow it with a list of all of MY favourite movies. But I just have never liked it. I can't even particularly justify why I dislike it. I just do.

But anyway, it got me thinking about the other things I don't like that other people do. Such as . . .

  • STAR WARS - I tried to watch it. I nearly died of boredom midway through the original film. I also didn't really understand what was going on. Hmmm. I didn't try again. That was when I was about 25 . . .
  • "24" - I think its completely unrealistic (yeah cos all other TV programmes are SOOOO full of realism), most of the characters annoy me, I can't be bothered waiting for nearly six months for a full day to be over, and I keep losing track of the plot.
  • THE BEATLES - most of their songs were boring. They're supremely overrated. That's all.
  • COFFEE - I would LOVE to like this, think it would really help me since I am totally not a morning person. But no. It's vile. (I also feel similarly about tea. The only time I ever drank tea, it was over-sugared and I threw up.)
  • TAKE THAT'S COMEBACK - Most of the girls of my age in the UK appear to be obsessed with the reunited man-band. I think they should have stayed back in the nineties.
  • SCARLETT JOHANSEN - so many dudes like her and I really don't get it. Perhaps because she stole Ryan Reynolds from me. Be-atch, you are going down.
I'm sure there are others, but its after midnight and my mind has stopped working. Oh well . . .

If anyone wants to share anything seemingly universally popular that they dislike themselves, please feel free. Make me feel like I'm not on my own (and that you don't hate me after the Dirty Dancing revelation. Once again, I'm sorry!) . . . PLEASE!!!! :(

16 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of Dirty Dancing either!!! And I'm a dancer! Shocking. But nothing against Patrick or Jennifer at all. You're not on your own!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, amen, girl! Our embarrassed-to-dislike lists are basically identical! (Everyone thinks I'm crazy for disliking coffee -- especially since I'm a crazy-perky morning person.) Although I must admit I don't dislike the Beatles. I'm just not crazy about them.

    Other universally beloved stuff that I can't stand:

    Friggin' Coldplay. Seriously, wtf?

    Lady Gaga. I mean, what? How is she a real phenomenon.

    The films of Judd Apatow and his whole man-child crew. 40-Year-Old Virgin was pretty good, but I walked out of both Knocked Up and Forgetting Sarah Marshall (in spite of nurturing the world's biggest crush on Jason Segel.)

    Twilight, although I'll admit I certainly know a few other people who also disliked it.

    And don't even get me started on all of the universally beloved novels that I honestly couldn't stand. One of my dear friends actually stopped talking to me for a month when I told him I didn't get the whole hoopla around The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

    Ooooh, fun post, man! I'm going to have to keep thinking about my list...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol... I think I'm going to go watch Dirty Dancing now. LOL! :) You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With you on The Beatles, Take That (in either form actually) and Scarlett Johansson.

    Totally with notthatkindofgirl on Coldplay, Lady Gaga and Twilight and i've never seen a Judd Apatow film.

    Also don't get Robert Pattinson in general, that show Being Human, any reality TV show that doesn't involve the fashion industry in some way and people who don't like cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You... you... you... don't like dirty dancing? *sobs and removes Paula from reader* just kidding :) I like it but I'm not overly crazy about it! Can't think of things I don't like that everybody is supposed to love... What about things you like that everybody is supposed to hate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dirty Dancing... sucks.. thanks for saying it... 24 is quite possibly the dumbest show on television (I must admit I watched it, but not cause I wanted to but because my roommate was addicted)
    I have no idea who "Take That" is but I am guessing it's good that I don't.
    However...
    STAR WARS, Coffee, and the Beatles are things I must disagree with

    Star Wars is on of those things that you either love it or hate it. Coffee is what keeps me from getting fired for sleeping on night shifts. Scarlett Johansen is hot... not talented, just hot!

    and that is all I have to say about that

    ReplyDelete
  7. everybody's allowed to have differences of opinion! for example...

    i'm not a fan of The Goonies.
    or Catcher in the Rye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the only person I know who doesn't get lost - I stopped watching halfway through season 1 and have never managed to follow it since.

    With you on the Lady Gaga thing too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm with you on everything BUT COFFEE.

    i mean, come thefuck on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Beatles? Omg...shush Don Paula...you "iced" me :(
    I don't care about the others...even coffee...it sucks big time in this country anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh missy, this is an entry that seems to have us all thinking - I love it!!

    P.S. Goonies rocks! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm w/ you on Scarlett. She took our man!!!

    But Dirty Dancing I love. But not as much as my FIL. It's his favorite movie. Not shitting you. He has it on DVD. The collectors edition. He's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It wasn't my favorite, though I thought it was cute.

    But To Wong Foo? I will watch that on repeat for days on end.

    RIP, Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm devistated!! Just Kidding Can't say I hated it But not my favorite by all means. I liked Ghost

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's ok - I never got 24 either. Or Prison Break after the first series. I mean, they broke out of prison... then what?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Star Wars (bored me) and 24 (gives me too much unnecessary anxiety). You lost me at The Beatles.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)