Friday, 28 August 2009

PERMA-SUCKER . . .

I like to think I'm not all that naive, not all that gullible but . . .

I'm one of those people who is ALWAYS taken in by advertising. Which is weird - you'd think as a girl who has a marketing degree under her belt, I might actually have a semblance of sense when it comes to PR. But no . . .

All my life I've been a sucker when it comes to advertising. If it's something that remotely appeals to my vanity, I'm right on in there. I may SAY I don't believe it, but I'll try it all the same.

I believe this started back when I was a kid. I don't have shiny hair. Never DID have shiny hair (even BEFORE i started bleaching the shit out of it). But I ALWAYS believed the adverts that said if I used their product, shiny hair would be mine. It never was. Yet I kept trying. The adverts got more and more elaborate. To FOOL me I suppose. It worked. I kept using.

My hair was STILL a mess . . .

Then there was the pore strips. My god, I tried EVERY BRAND GOING. Hell, I used to try and CELLOTAPE my blackheads away so I figured there was some logic in the blackhead strips. Once again . . . apparently not. For all the effort I put into ripping those buggers out . . . they still remain.

The most recent, though, is the most humiliating. It would be the advert I found in the National Enquirer, late last year, for some sort of weight loss miracle called Equi-chew. Or some crap like that.

You are reading this and shaking your head in disbelief right now, right? You are thinking (perhaps even saying ALOUD) "Is this girl on this PLANET? How can ANYONE be so naive?"

I did it myself. Told myself . . . "Oooh, I'm just doing this 'ironically'". Deep down though . . .

I WANTED it to be true.

And I was still surprised and disappointed when it didn't work.

I am the world's biggest sucker.

But yet, when the next ad came dropping through my letter box (given I was on the mailing list from the previous time) saying I could lose five pounds at a time by putting a random strip on my tongue . . . I still thought "but . . . what if it actually HAPPENED?"

Such is the way I'm conditioned, I guess.

I didn't ORDER the strips for my tongue, you'll be glad to know.

But it WAS a struggle . . .

Yep. . .

4 comments:

  1. Most of us are born cynics.
    But we secretly want to be proven wrong.

    That's why we keep buying this crap. Grr!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel better, if I had the money and a credit card, I would buy a lot of things that are shown in infomercials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel better, if I had the money and a credit card, I would buy a lot of things that are shown in infomercials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha I love this!!! Guilty admissions are my favorite. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)