Wednesday, 17 June 2009

EMBRACING THE MUNDANE . . .

I think we all know that work bores me - I'm sure I'm not the only one. I find most tasks boring, despite the fact that when I was a kid I went through a phase of wanting to be a secretary. I suppose as an administrator now, I got my wish. Hmmm - it's not what it's cracked up to be, put it that way. I guess there's a bit more variation in my job than most basic admin jobs but ultimately it's all just the same jobs, right?

There is the odd task I don't mind doing though. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't do even these tasks on repeat for the rest of my working life, but I sometimes almost find myself happy to do them. Well - in comparison to the other tasks.

Stuffing envelopes for example. Putting things in envelopes and sealing them can while away a relatively pleasant half hour.

Typing up letters - I like the noise the keys make when I hit them hard and fast (ooh - er . . . )

Occasionally even PHOTOCOPYING can provide a bit of light relief. I know what you're thinking . . . weird, right?

Today it was typing up labels for packages and sticking them on. Odd but . . . it actually made my day better. And more importantly, go faster!

Is it just me, or are there any mundane tasks that can almost brighten up YOUR working day???

6 comments:

  1. I'm quite sad i'm afriad. I enjoy oputting contract packs together....mail merges, printing, stapling, putting in envelopes..wastes away a few hrs.
    I'm also a completed nerd as I LOVE spreadsheets. I have spreadsheets for everything at work with charts etc. I even create them when i don't really need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a secretary, too. I always loved looking at office supply catalogues and wanted to be in charge of ordering them for the office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, i'm an optical dispenser and practice manager, so a lot of my job is admin based. My top three mundane tasks that i actually dont mind:

    1. Folding letters, stuffing envelopes, stamping with " Postage Paid " so theyre ready to mail.
    2. Ordering stationary online. I can browse the online catalogue for an idle half hour looking for the best new technology in... pens and highlighters.
    3.Recording how many patients we've seen that day. I just like knowing how my business is shuffling along on a day to day basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mundane errand running. Gets me out of the office and able to listen to music. Score.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally know what you mean! I absolutely love the mundane tasks...like shredding things. I save up all my things to shred during the week so my last 10 minutes of a Friday can be spent sticking things in the shredder. Weeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent been in the office life long but I get what you mean, sometimes anything to get me away from my desk no mattter what task makes me happy

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)