Wednesday, 14 January 2009

TODAY'S ISSUE : UP OR DOWN???


Above is the sign I put up in the bathroom a couple of months ago.
Below is the story behind it. Although it's probably fairly self-explanatory.

We live in an all-girl flat. Obviously, males do come and go fairly often since as far as I'm aware I'm the only single one and even I have male friends who pop by on occasion. We have two bathrooms - me and my two favourite flatmates share one, and the other three use the other.

But, for some unknown reason, the annoying boyfriend of one of our flatmates (she who spreads her shit out all over the flat's communal areas, from the dirty bike in the hall to the random shelf just sitting outside the bathroom where she keeps her shoes for some unknown reason - I'm being a little unfair because she seems friendly enough, just doesn't seem to care that she lives with other people!) seems to have appropriated our bathroom as his own on the regular occasions he is over.

Even more annoyingly, he seems to think he has every right to just leave the toilet seat up after he's done a pee.

Now, I know there is mixed opinions on the toilet seat issue. Girls always say it should be left down but lots of guys leave it up after they've used it. Personally, I think if you are living with a guy, you have to be prepared for them to do this. Let's face it, it's their home as much as yours. If they want to leave the toilet seat up once in a while, I suppose they have every right to. Just as long as they don't miss the bowl or splash everywhere, I don't really see the issue.

But I DO take exception to someone who is effectively a guest in an all-girl flat constantly leaving the toilet seat up. Especially given the fact that that sign, as clear as day, is RIGHT NEXT TO THE EFFIN' TOILET!!! And that every time I find that toilet seat up after he's been on the premises, I try to highlight the sign that little bit more. Yet it keeps happening.

Frankly, I just think it's rude. The other guys who come in here obey the sign. I'm sure they would obey the rule whether it was right in front of their eyes or not. What makes this guy so different? Why is he special???
Answer: He's NOT. He's just an inconsiderate prick, that's all.
Okay, deep breaths. Rant over. I'll open the floor to you guys instead while I try to stop fuming (it's not happened tonight - yet! - but the whole issue gets me riled up!) - what's your opinion on the toilet seat issue? Up or down? Do you even HAVE an opinion on it? Or does the whole thing just "piss" you off??? (Geddit???? Piss? Pee? Oh, whatever!!!)


26 comments:

  1. Personally, I don't care if there's no splashage, but if you have a sign, he should respect it . . . or start paying rent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seat down. lid down. i can't stand being in the bathroom brushing my teeth while the open toilet is gaping its dirty, germ-infested mouth at me. i've read in more than one place that with the lid open, you are doubling the chances that whatever is sitting in your toilet bowl will eventually make its way into the air and cover anything in its path (aka toothbrushes, sink knobs, towels...). i may sound a tad obsessive about this, but i promise i'm not. i just don't like the look of the open toilet in an already cramped space (at least here in nyc).

    i do live with my boyfriend, and i had him trained quickly and efficiently on the art of closing the seat AND lid within the first month. it's been gold ever since and i really only have to worry about it once or twice a week, if that.

    but yes, guests are another matter and they should be considerate of your wishes. so what it's only a toilet seat? it's your space, not theirs. this guy should respect it or plan on peeing outside like the animal he seems to behave like. maybe there's a nice hydrant or tree you could point him in the direction of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always do like a group of my college friends did - installed a urinal in the garage and put up male signs pointing there. (You have to remember the garage was barely heated in the 10 below northern cold - people got the hint quickly.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since it's an all-girls place, I think he SHOULD put the seat back down. It's courtesy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes definitely seat down as he is the guest and should most certainly be tirying up after himself...and that most definitely includes putting the seat down once he's done.

    I totally love the sign you made by the way! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the seat shud deff be down1 what a prat tut tut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got your comment on my blog - that is totally a fabulous idea and I think I WILL post a pic of all my dresses later =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a girl, so TOTALLY UP!!

    Oh, and let's not even talk about the many times where half-asleep I get up and seat on the toilet and almost fall down the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah aha ha! I can't wait to see the sign totally pink from all the highlighting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha I love the sign. I agree with A Margarita though, as long as no splashage on the seat or anywhere else (eww Im grossed out even thinking about it) lol. Great post! I think its a serious topic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Invent something where as soon as you flush the seat automatically is put down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really digging your big R in afterR on the sign there. Just to get your point across.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not really fussed either way, but if you have a sign - a really well highighted sign too, i must add - then the dude should have the courtesy enough to put the damn seat down....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have to put a deterrant in place to discourage him from *ever* using that toilet again.

    I know men don't tend to have a great love of anything relating to feminine hygiene products...

    I'm sure you can think up something nasty to put him off ever stepping back into the bathroom again....

    Yeah, I am evil!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Considering the fact that a few weeks ago, in the middle of the night... I fell in. I hear ya sister. You are completely right. Even my husband obeys the rule for the most part and I don't make a big deal about it when he forgets. but when I lived in college, he was very respectful of the fact that I lived with 4 girls and it was OUR place not his. Girls pee with the seat down... so therefore in their home... down comes first. Plus.. it looks cleaner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OOohh that would totally piss me off. That's just rude. Next time he's in there you should totally call him out on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. UGH! That would drive me nuts! I hate when guests start acting like YOUR place is THEIR place...especially if they aren't even YOUR guests!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WH doesn't ever put it up. Instead, he checks the seat to make sure it's not wet. Works for me. A visitor, though, should be on his best behavior.

    Dude, she keeps her shoes on a shelf outside the bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grrrrr! He is DEF doing it to purposely piss you off!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd be damn pissed off!! He's a guest and there's a sign! Surely he could do it to be courteous!

    I come from a family of all girls, with a dad who always put the seat down. It just looks nicer!
    I would always expect my man to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats, love! You've won the Lemonade Award, courtesy of yours truly. :) Click here for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Go on, girl! VENT! I'd absolutely be pissed off! Especially since he's a guest in your flat, dammit. Personally, if all of my subtle hints were working, I'd very nicely speak to the girlfriend about the issue, and hope that she could teach her man how to umm... alleviate his problem.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I meant to say weren't* working... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ugh. Gross. Honestly, I don't mind too much if it's my own boyfriend and my own toilet, but someone else's? Unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I leave the seat down. With the lid down too. Then any females have to lift at least one lid before peeing. If I have to lift, so do the ladies, lol. He he.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seat down with the lid down here as well. What's the point of having a lid if you're not going to use it?

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)