Sunday, 19 October 2008

SUN = HAPPY PAULA, INSECT BITES = ITCHY PAULA . . .

Last Wednesday afternoon at a deserted bus stop in the coastal town of El Cotillo, Fuerteventura, Paula finally loses patience with the insects constantly landing on her and feasting on her flesh . . .

Paula: Right, THAT'S IT!!! I'm officially declaring war on ALL INSECTS!!! I AM GOING TO KILL YOU ALL!!! If one more of you little . . . SHITS come near me, you are all going to die. No second chances!!!

(Paula's mum looks at her like she is crazy, but for a moment there is a brief silence as it seems that Paula's threat has finally got through to the irritating little beasts. Two seconds later, two more insects land on her leg).

Paula: Argh! What the . . . (realisation hits). Shit, they probably don't understand English. (looks at her mum). Any idea what the Spanish for all that was??? (She didn't).

True story.

Anyway, that little scene sums up the bad point of my holiday. I am covered in insect bites. You could practically play dot to dot on both my legs. I'm struggling not to scratch but I am so damn itchy I want to scream! Other than that, everything was fab. I love the Canary Islands as a tourist destination and Fuerteventura is one of my favourites. My tan is okay (I just wish I'd done a couple of sunbed sessions between Barcelona and Fuerte as my tan had mostly faded so it was kinda like I was starting from scratch), and I had a lovely relaxing time. I read eight and a half of my nine books so it was a good estimate (to be honest, I actually had to go and buy some English magazines halfway through the holiday to pace myself a bit, otherwise I think I'd have ran out), had some fabulous dinners out (if you are ever in Corralejo, I would thoroughly recommend Gibson's Restaurant and Tiffany's - both English restaurants which do amazing food . . . I know, I know, go to a Spanish island and find the English speakers, I'm such a philistine, etc etc. Oh well, I'm not going for the culture, I'm going for the sun!), and got to spend loads of time with one of my favourite people - my mum!

The weather was incredible too. It was raining when we got there last Saturday but even then the sun was out within a couple of hours. Because Fuerteventura is just off the western coast of Africa, you get very similar weather to that continent. In other words, pretty damn warm for the time of year. Such a change to Scotland, which has been freezing since I returned. I wish I could go back right now!

Anyway, here's some pictures from the holiday . . .


This is the view from my balcony. It wasn't the best view I have to admit, but the majority of hotels and apartment complexes in Fuerteventura aren't very high (I think it's due to planning regulations or something like that) so you rarely get a fabulous view. So we got the road, a water park, and a mountain of some sort. Still, the view did grow on me after a while!


This was taken from my sun lounger one day while the reps organised a game of water polo in the pool for the youngsters. I loved sitting down here, it was one of the few holidays I'd been on when you had no trouble getting a decent sun lounger either. It was always so warm down here, and there was always SOMETHING happening.


This was taken from the bell tower of a new shopping centre in Corralejo. Unfortunately the bells decided to start clanging the second we went up it, which was a pretty deafening experience. The island on the left of the picture is another Canary Island, that of Lanzarote (where I was last October). The island on the left is the uninhabited little island of Lobos (which I also visited last year. Sadly, we never made it over to either island this year). The massive lump on Lobos is half a volcano . . . the other half of it fell into the sea at some point.

This is a picture of me (of course!) sitting at the end of the pier in Corralejo after a failed attempt to go over to Lanzarote on the ferry (we didn't realise we would need our passports to do this as we never did in the past). That's Lobos behind me again. The magazine next to me is the free paper "The Fuerteventura Gazette". This particular issue had an interiew with a goat in it. Seriously . . .

The harbour at Corralejo. Probably a pretty boring picture actually . . .


One of the gorgeous beaches at El Cotillo, just around the coast from Corralejo. It has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. You'll just be glad I never accidentally caught any of the nudists in this picture . . .

El Cotillo again . . . just wanted to capture the desert type landscape away from the beach.




I can't remember the last time I played Crazy Golf . . .


The swimming pool in the hotel complex at night.

I had a great time, and am missing the place so much already. Sometimes I do think how nice it would be to move out there, but I think that will take a major lottery win first . . .

It's got me wondering though, where is everyone else's favourite tourist destination???

9 comments:

  1. Mmmm - the beach at El Cotillo looks fabbity (thank you for not capturing nude people)!

    Looks like you had a good time - not good about the insects though. :( I would say resist the itching, but ITCH AWAY! Tee hee!

    Hmmm - fave tourist destinations - the Caribbean is usually where I gravitate towards. Brazil is amazing (sooooo scorchingly hot and achingly beautiful, although the food is *horrific*). Oh, and NYC! Next hol I want to head out to South Africa. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow....you look so happy playing mini golf there...hehe, you are on holiday you know, smiling doesnt hurt... ;)

    as for insect war, i hate bugs...every day i try not to itch my legs into pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGZ so amazing :D Looks awesome. Do want.

    Except for the itching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that beach i slooking mighty fine right now at the start of my working week...

    And, as i live in Australia which is a long way from anywhere, i dont get overseas all that much. However, my favourite of where i have been thus far is Cuzco, Peru - gorgeous little city, lovely people, good food, and a world away from home ( which is what you want on holiday).

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww sorry about the bites- that sucks. for some reason bugs always bite me, too. i can't stand it!

    and those pictures are amazing!!!! you're so cute, too p.s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW those pictures are gorgeous!!!
    Glad you had a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks utterly fantastic.
    I haven't had very many fun in the sun holidays that are particularly exotic, honestly, except for Costa Rica, which is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting story as for me. I'd like to read a bit more about that theme. Thnx for posting that data.

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)