Monday, 10 March 2008

THERE'S A POINT WHERE KINDNESS HITS IRRITATION

At lunchtime today, it was chucking it down with rain, raining cats and dogs, pissing it down . . . however you want to say it. It was wet, needless to say. Annoyingly so. Me and my mate headed out to a sandwich shop for a panini, rushed from his car to his shop in an attempt not to get too wet. I was served first and was about to leave the shop when I remembered it was wet. I didn't particularly want to go outside when my friend had the keys to unlock his car and was still inside the shop. So I stood to one side to wait. Unfortunately at that point, an older couple walked up to the shop and opened the door. The guy apparently believed I was wanting to leave the shop and waved me through. I shook my head and smiled, indicating I was staying put. He then practically FORCED me outside, not in a horrible way, but clearly thinking he was doing me a favour, being chivalrous and all that shit. He was preventing the woman he was with entering until I left, so I felt obliged to go outside and wait in the pouring rain. "He MADE me go outside!" I wailed when my friend finally joined me. "I wanted to stay inside and be dry and he MADE me get wet!" I was absolutely RAGING!

See, perhaps it's just me . . . but I find someone can THINK they're being nice . . . but they are actually putting me out in the process. Like the motorists who think they're doing you a favour by stopping and waving you across the road. In actuality, they are just holding me up. Because if they just drove past, rather than slowing down to a stop before they reach me, and then having to wave or flash their lights to get my attention . . . then I would probably actually be across the road far quicker. And not have to make a frantic dash, then smile and wave my thanks while inside I'm silently fuming.

Or people who hold open doors for you when you're actually a good ten steps or so away and wearing high heels which have been killing your feet all day but you're obliged to then CANTER to the door (or trot at the very least) just so they aren't holding the door open too long. And then through gritted teeth, wincing in pain, having to THANK them for the privilege of causing you further agony? Yeah, thanks for that.

I hate to be a bitch here, I really do. (Who am I kidding? I LOVE to be a bitch. But still, even I have my limits.) But sometimes you're better off just being rude. Because perhaps the person in question doesn't WANT your help. Perhaps you're just adding to the stress of their daily routine by putting ourself out. I'm not saying let the door slam in my face if I'm right behind you (that's the other extreme and is just RUDE, let's face it.) I know there's no set rules for this type of thing, but just know that if your good deed is going to just irritate me ultimately, you might as well not bother wasting your time.

There's a good samaritan, and there's a pain in the ass.

And it's a thin line.

13 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. Sometimes it is simply best for everyone if you dont give a fuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a good samaritan, and there's a pain in the ass.

    I want to stitch that on a throw pillow. Brilliant.

    Welcome to your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the plus side, at least they're not purposely putting you out. That might be the next step down. Haha.

    I sometimes am overly-aggressively nice. I like to smile and say hello to people who clearly had no intention of glancing up at me. I feel like it puts them off balance and I find it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If all else you could have just stood there while they got sopped and then said thanks as you stroll out 5 min later;).....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please, please. Bitch away! Loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should check out Subversive Cross Stitch by Julie Jackson.....

    Glad your back BTW

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is hilarious and so very true. Loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kimberlie is right. You would love the cross stitch book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow it really never stops raining where you live..
    I would say that you are highly opinionated...sounds better than bitch..but it sounds good to say at times as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha I never thought of it that way but man, you hit the nail right on the head! I've definitely been the girl running to the door in heels thinking DAMNIT MY FEET HURT!

    Good post! I needed a giggle for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha. I do the same thing sequined! It's hilarious.

    You really hit on a good point PP when you were mentioned ppl holding the door and you're wearing high heels and walking like 100 yards back. LOL Happens to me all the time but I like to think people wanna see me running in a low-cut top in heels and that's why they hold the door for so long. :)

    Jk

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha ha ha Global Warming my ass more like
    "ireland and England raining"
    And your so right "Some people are just too SUPER NICE!!!!
    I think this blog is now one of my fave's!
    I love nothing more than a good old ranting session!!!
    Wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw you on 20SB.
    Love your blog!

    Bridget
    honesttoblogb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

You wanna leave me a comment? Come on, you know you want to really . . . ;)